Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boghog : Painting w/ Gillespie primer and paint

Default beast :

Re: Painting w/ Gillespie primer and paint
    Post by beast on Jul 8, 2006, 7:54am

I got all mine from Army Jeep Parts. Great people to deal with and very help full with sugjestions and figuring out how much paint is needed per application. http://www.armyjeepparts.com/

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jul 8, 2006, 4:52pm

I got mine from Rapco. But, I used the directions on the ArmyJeepParts website for mixing and application.

As you can tell, each of us paints different. Find a way you like and stick with it. Just like so many other parts of these trucks, there is no right and wrong. Just what works for you. Just have fun.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jul 8, 2006, 5:06pm

barrman as useual says it so perfect. no 2 of us are the same but we all get-it done- so have fun is what we all have in common. wish i had his diplomatic skills it sure would be a plus in my life.
    bob

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Jul 8, 2006, 7:33pm

Boy........I know that feeling!!

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jul 9, 2006, 10:55am

I'm with Fisherman. I forgot how much I paid, but we both got ours from Rapco. I'd look into the Grants Pass guy 503m715 mentioned if I had to get more.

I think this paint is pretty forgiving, as you can see from how many different approaches we have all taken!

503...what color did you get? Army green (24087), wasn't it?

Canders7.... Where in Seattle are you? Welcome to the Zone! Before long we PacNor guys will outnumber the east-coasters!

Default boghog :

Post by boghog on Jul 9, 2006, 12:59pm

Well thanks guys, I will start with the least amount of thinner,then work to the most if need be. I have never used the new type of spray guns, I hope I dont waste too much of the primer. I bought 4 gal of usmc green, but I only got two gallons of primer. How much paint do most of you guys use for a typical body off paint job?

Default canders7 :

Post by canders7 on Jul 9, 2006, 3:32pm

Binford-

Thanks again for the info. I am actually down in the Maple Valley area. I have an 80 Cherokee that I am planning on making some styling changes to. The goal (please no body shoot me) is to make a cherokee that might have looked like it was designed for the military. I have put the M715 brush guard, and black out lights on the front end. I removed the grill completely. I have a winch bumper but was thinking about making a new one to emulate the M715 bumper a little closer. I haven't decided on the fenders yet (as I have a WT Chero and most guys would shoot me over chopping the WT flares off).

Hope to complete an SOA lift and run Michelin XLs. Maybe, possibly do a 6.2/6.5L conversion with the 3/4 ton drive train. That would be down the road. Don't mean to ramble.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at your M715 to get a couple of ideas for mine. Do you have any extra front fenders laying around?

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jul 10, 2006, 12:47am

If I had any extra front fenders lying around, I'd have put them on my truck to replace the bashed up ones I have!

I think your plans are right on! I think it would look great. How far along are you? Any pics to post yet?

Default canders7 :

Post by canders7 on Jul 10, 2006, 3:40pm

Binford- No pics to speak of yet. I have the brushguard mounted but need to bend the curved ends that mount to the sides of the header panel back further. They were bent forward at some point in their illustrious history. Shouldn't be too difficult. I need to make a couple of brackets to mount the blackout lights in inside holes. I am thinking about converting to an earlier style front fascia to allow easier mounting of the front headlights.

My big decision is to decide whether I want to media blast the body panels and repaint from there or just sand real well, prep, prime and paint. Any suggestions?

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jul 10, 2006, 6:15pm

Unless there is a lot of rust present I'd advise against media blasting. Go with sanding and prime and paint. If the old paint is in good shape, why not leave some, more protection. Chemical stripping works well to if you want to remove everything. Fisherman