Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jed : M715 Cab Removal

Default tacomainoh :

Re: M715 Cab Removal
    Post by tacomainoh on Jul 5, 2006, 1:07am

cool. I have to take mine off and put in the Rockwell frame with a cherry picker. No other option. Looked plenty doable to me, glad I was right!

Default poolmike :

Post by poolmike on Jul 5, 2006, 5:52am

I used my engine hoist, but I also welded braces all over the inside of the cab, knowing that the floors, rockers, and several other rusted areas were going to be cut out and replaced.

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Jul 5, 2006, 7:30am

Chris and I have removed and replaced 2 cabs and with the fenders etc removed..The first time we did it by hand with one guy on each side pretty easy..The second time we used the 1500lb cap engine crane..We just slid a 4x4 across under the cab and dropped the chain down thru the trans cover and around the wood and raised it up and rolled it over the frame and let it down..I was balancing the cab while chris was rolling the jack..Easy and quick..

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Jul 5, 2006, 9:20am

I removed mine with a cherry picker on more than one occasion. I just put the 5K cargo straps around the cab from rocker to rocker. I used two straps that met in the middle. Adjusted the straps so the picker was low when it started to lift the cab. I also installed it this way.

Default warthog :

Post by warthog on Jul 5, 2006, 9:49am

I used the engine hoist to pull mine. Left the bolts in for the body mounts connected chain from the 4 points to the eye on hoist, keeping the front ones 3 links shorter than rear as the front was heavier. Then used 2 wratchet straps to balance/level final load. This was while working on a slanted driveway. Just bulky for one person, but it was the only choice I had and made it work.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Jul 5, 2006, 9:50am

I placed a piece of angle iron across the door openings, using the windshiled mount point and the 2 bolt holes that the soft top frame bolts down to ( on top of cab, behind door), this kept the cab square and provides a nice handle for 2 people to lift the cab off and walk it forward off the frame....

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jul 5, 2006, 12:47pm

Not a very good estimate but the cab I shipped to Lee was 900 lbs, with a full OSB shipping crate, doors mounted, a set of door glass and a bunch of extra parts thrown in for good measure. The crate was probably good for 150-200 pounds of that 900.

By myself with prybars and a jack, I was able to tip the crate on its side; built a ramp and with two come-alongs, I come-along'ed the whole mess into the bed of my 715.

I can't say for the life of me how we moved the cab around but we loaded it with 3 people and unloaded it with 2 to get it to my house. Probably rolled it like a square wheel in the yard where the dirt and grass wouldn't damage anything.

Chris

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Jul 5, 2006, 12:49pm

The front is of course heavier than the back. Three of us lifted mine with no problems. Two on the front corners one in the back. Three average sized guys can do it, or as you put it, the normal schmoe.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jul 5, 2006, 1:55pm

Agreed...I have a cab tub wi715 picked up in Missouri for me some time back...3 of us got it off his trailer easy enough...I have used the engine hoist too when we moved and put it in the shop on top of my mega size homebuilt sawhorses....not too hard.

Default warthog :

Post by warthog on Jul 5, 2006, 2:58pm

Cab w/o windshield and doors can easily be moved by 3. Can be moved by 2, with a few breaks, but can be done (me & the wife).