Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited Slip

Default More Rockwell questions.

I have a no spin detroit locker and am wondering weather it should go in the front or in the back. When I got it I was told that it fit the rear Dana70 for a 715. How would I find out weather or not it would fit the front axle? From the manual it seems that this is more of a limited slip than a true locker. I was planing to put it in the rear, and not worry about the front for a while. But what I am wondering is would I be better off putting it up front and getting a full time locker for the rear.

thanks

What part # is it ?? How splines are the side gears ?? If it is a " lunch box" style for a split carrier it is for the rear. If it is a complete carrier assy it is for the 60. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

It is a locker, right down to the clicking on coast and the occasional bang when going from reverse to first. Really strong, if it has no carrier, it is for the rear. The Dana 70 in our trucks uses a split carrier, the no spin replaces the axle and spider gears. Mine works great, takes a little while to get used to the occasional drive line ring though. Glen
    Proud owner of two 1968 M0715 trucks....
    Maybe they own me....or soon will!

Get a lockright and MM lockouts for the front. You'll be REAL happy with that and that No Spin'ed D70. Aim and climb.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Keep in mind that the Dana 70 uses a complete carrier type diff in applications after 1974 or so..these could be 23/32/35 spline yet...if he bought it used it could be one of these as well.

If it's a "No-Spin" than it is a "true locker"...and like the folks here said...if it's a "lunch box type" ( installs inside the OEM Dana 70 Carrier in place of the side gears) and 32 spline it should bolt right in. IF it is a complete carrier style...no dice for a M-715 rear axle...but easily sold if that turns out to be the situation...a part # would tell the tale.

that said what spline is the front Dana 60 on these M-715's? Is it 1.31 30 spline? I have a spare Detroit for a Dana 60 (30 spline 3 series) I could use with aftermarket gears and toss in the "stock M" I want to build.... or just sell it LOL

NoRM

Is it 1.31 30 spline?
    Yes, thats it exactly!!
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

[/quote]
    Yes, thats it exactly!!
    brute4c[/quote]

Thanks...you probably single handedly now have made my "stock" M-715 project I hope to build sometime, end up not so stock

Anyway hello from Central Wis...hope ya get to feeling better soon.

NoRM

Hello to you too....almost met you once when I was at John's place in Portage...before he moved...maybe one of these days....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Pin Ball, don't forget the lockouts for easier steering with a locked front.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c
    Hello to you too....almost met you once when I was at John's place in Portage...before he moved...maybe one of these days....
    brute4c
    Ah yes...Was that after the FE or when him and I went to Mo to get my 2nd truck and a few other parts? Mine will be up and running this summer...maybe John and I will road trip up your way for a shake down cruise. We shall see.

NoRM