Thread: Radiator

Blog Entries

Default Radiator

Well believe it or not and having a hard time locating a radiator. Anybody know a source for a 2001 ls1 radiator. Anybody know a source? Covid is making it hard to source one. BJs off road has them but they are $560. Facing The front of the truck upper hoses on the right lower hose on the left vent can be midway up the leftside. 25" wide 21" tall 3" thick.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I spent more time than I care to admit browsing Summit and Speedway. On summit you can type in search criteria. If I understand your inlet and outlet needs correctly you need one similar to what Scassidy and I both bought. His was cross flow for chev and Mine is down flow behind a Buick 350. Mine was from a 66 GTO. Both Scassidy and my build threads have pictures. Cold case brand like I bought has good reviews. 30 percent thicker tanks and seems like a good product. I do have roughly 3/4 or so gap down both sides. I have to make mounts. Scassidy's came with mounting brackets welded on. Much easier to deal with. Read his detail regarding cutting out the frame brackets. Not sure but I think he might have had the room to raise the radiator and keep the metal below. If your sheet metal is on, measure from the hood down to the frame braces. That is your limiter top to bottom. If I remember right, side to side between the mounts was 28 inches. Or 27 3/4. Probably should verify that claim.
    BJ's is a good shop, but their radiators are very high priced. I looked at the Buick one for 5 hundred plus. There is to much out there that is half the costs or better. Hope this helps.

That price doesn't sound unreasonable for a US-made radiator. There is a quality difference between low-cost (cheap) radiators and the more expensive radiators, like Griffin, Champion, CG&J, BeCool, etc.

CGJ.com made the radiator I have in my scrambler. It's a nice piece. Did you ask BJ's who builds their radiators?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    That price doesn't sound unreasonable for a US-made radiator. There is a quality difference between low-cost (cheap) radiators and the more expensive radiators, like Griffin, Champion, CG&J, BeCool, etc.

CGJ.com made the radiator I have in my scrambler. It's a nice piece. Did you ask BJ's who builds their radiators?
    I wouldnt mind paying it if they didnt take 2-3 to deliver it. Truth is truck is due at painters APR 1. I have 1 month to finish. Need an LS1 radiator in above config NOW. Bad planning.

Blog Entries

Hey guys thanks for the help. So here is what I ended up doing instead of the $600+ at BJ's after shipping tax.

Took my lead from Scassidy and just went with a standard Chevy radiator with measurements that allowed minimal changes to the truck. I already removed the cross braises up front. Then I used this solution for the LS1 steam vent plumbing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIFeFLVIuo8