Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spring under lift springs

is anyone using lift springs on their trucks in a spring under configuration? i've contacted a company called alcan spring in colorado they can build them any way you want..... cost est. at 180 a spring i'm looking at this option for the front for two reasons a better riding spring and not having to mess with the steering arms.... thinking 5inch lift in front and then a shackle swap in the rear any thoughts or opinions would be very appreciated

I want some too, maybe 2-3" lift though. Deaver can make them locally, Nat'l as well but I think they're closer to 300 per spring.

Chris

here's a question: why not use Cherokee lift springs? I'm going to have to check, as JP did something with them, maybe it's a bad idea. FSJ's are spring under of course, and BJ's Offroad is selling 6" kits for I think $500, that's all 4 springs if memory serves. I'll have to read the article again, but I think there was some problem w/the MSprings being the same arc as lift springs or something? Will repost tomorrow.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Default m725 on another site

Springs like that will have a huge arch to them. That means spring wrap to anybody that actually uses their truck. Plus, anything that hangs below the axle is just something that should be eliminated . Both of these problems should be avoided at all costs in my book. But then again , anybody can bolt a set of springs on and drive down the HIGHWAY . M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

Tacoma, I think they said the springs are the same as early FSJ but mounted lower in relation to the frame to get the lift. Apparently early FSJ springs aren't that common though.

Barry, the way I understand it if you take the same spring and compare spring over to spring under, the spring over will have much more wrap. So you could use a conservative arch lift and still not increase wrap compared to a spring over. But if you need the huge lift a spring over is the way to go.

Chris

I think Chris is right in the wrap debate I have no spring wrap problem in my v8 cj with 35in tires the concern of the spring under the axle is minimal if using a flat type retainer that keeps all hardware above the axle itsself.the springs hang less than the front pumkin. hiway running is the least of my concerns my truck sees mostly off-road conditions. M1028 sounds like you're pretty narrow-minded to any ideas that aren't what you think is best...........how is your truck set up any pictures?

Chris, I agree with you on the same spring issue. But that is not what was being talked about. You guys were talking about lift springs that go under the axle. M715 stock spring are VERY stiff and I doubt that you could get much, if any spring wrap out of them. After market lift springs wiold never be as stiff as stock ones , add the arch , and you will get spring wrap.
    Jeeperguy, your CJ in no way can be compared to a 6500 lb truck when it comes to spring requirements ! You bet I'm narrowed minded. As for pictures, there are plenty of pictures of the trucks that I build already posted. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

I never knew that smiley arches cause wrap, I thought it just kept the springs from flexing as well as a flatter spring would.

What I gather is this, assuming you're swapping to softer springs since the stockers are rediculous for a recreation truck -
    You need to determine at what point will increased arch create more spring wrap than a spring over swap. Either way, I'd prefer longer springs but that takes more work than just swapping in lift springs.

I do agree with you Barry that a SOA on stock springs won't have much wrap. But in comparison my F100 had severe wrap on the rear with all things stock and it was spring over.

Chris

Spring over will in fact have more wrap than spring UNDER, all other things being the same. Barry's right in that I am pretty sure FSJ lift springs aren't anywhere near the spring rate of our stockers. Springover gives the axle much more leverage, but so does a softer spring rate. As far as things hanging down, well, out here in the rocks I'm kind of split on that. Part of me likes wacking a nice Ubolt plate instead of an axletube, but then again, maybe nothing would hit if the spring was on top. The big Cherokee project will be a spring over, so we'll see I guess. Spring overs have the advantage more than anything of keeping the spring flatter, less arch-- which equals more flex both ways. Ideally I'd rig something to use big Chevy or Ford springs, they're pretty flat -- but you'd have to have the right chassis to put them on.

Back to topic, I'd say fab up a new mount for the rear of the spring and use newer FSJ lift springs. Ain't nothin' easy on these things.
    **I heart Bump_r **

This sucks! All I want is a few inches of lift and squishy springs. Why can't it be super simple?

Chris