Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: brute4c : Front axle teardown q's

Default brute4c :

Re: Front axle teardown q's
    Post by brute4c on Sept 7, 2006, 10:51am

On a serious note here...I have thought about the front locker and, with lockout hubs up front, why not? The only time I would use the front axle on road is when it is completely covered with snow...or else I am gonna bind the tcase...and in that case, it will be because the road hasnt been plowed and its too deep for cars....so speed would be low and caution taken...just like on the trail.

If a car can go through it, then I dont need 4WD...and if I do, then it will be at low speed because everyone else will be at low speed and it would be reckless to be flying along "just because I can" and rearend someone.

I did once drive home in about 1.5 feet of snow when cars were going like 20-25 mph and I was doing like 50...thought it was cool to be the fastest vehicle on the road...but it was dumb to do...just because one can GO faster on that stuff doesnt mean one can STOP any faster....and that would have been a bad ending....

I did pass a cop that evening too....didnt realize it was a cop till I was passing...snow was coming down pretty hard still...I thought for a second....CRAP!! He will get me for too fast for conditions or something....so I took my foot off the gas...then I thought....he's doing like 20 on the highway and I'm doing 50....how could he possibly catch me...and I hit the gas again....

I'm older now...

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Sept 7, 2006, 11:17am

with lockouts, there is no reason not to run a locker. You won't know it's there until you lock the hubs. BUT if you do and it's snowy, have fun LOL .

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 7, 2006, 7:44pm

Just lock in one hub if it is snowy or slick out.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Sept 7, 2006, 10:06pm

why not put a power lock or a track lock ? i,ve had all 3 . a detroit even in the rear end jerks the whole truck and eats tires like crazy. in the front end its too extream inmy opinion. but put in it what you like. most that have voiced opinions have never had one in the front also my opinion. wanna buy one for the front ?? might as well put a spool in it.......

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 7, 2006, 10:23pm

Even with a spool you can still just lock in one hub, which ever one you choose.

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Sept 7, 2006, 10:29pm

I had detroits front and rear in a CJ7 and never had any problems winter or summer..I had boggers on it and it never hurt my tires..I had it a year or so and drove it quite a bit..I liked them..They worked every time I needed them..

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Sept 7, 2006, 10:48pm

go for it. i just offered my opinion. even a power lock is a handful sometimes off road and in winter. you better know what your doin is all i can say. if your on a slope and break loose the tires your goin the way of the slope and with a locker your gonna break the tires loose

Default jed :

Post by jed on Sept 7, 2006, 11:02pm

Quote:
    with lockouts, there is no reason not to run a locker. You won't know it's there until you lock the hubs. BUT if you do and it's snowy, have fun LOL .

Havin' fun, that's what it's all about, so Jon, If your workin' on the front end, put that locker in and you'll be diggin' like a mad dog!!! You'll never look back!

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Sept 7, 2006, 11:13pm

"my theory"...LOL

With one lockout unlocked you will still have some issues..it's not quite like an open dif.

For starters, if you happen to be spinning your tires on ice or snow, then hit a clear spot of pavement where the tires can hook...the shock to the front can't be shared by both axle shafts. SNAP.

Second, the open allows power to both front tires to be unevenly split as you round a corner(inside tire travels less than outside...blah blah) Anyway, with one locked, it has to travel the same speed as the rear tires are traveling (assuming you're still running a stock t-case and not a Q-trac) Result, that tire IS going to spin in a corner pretty much all the time, you will have the opposite side trailing to help keep you straight, just not as effective as an open dif IMO.

To me, if you have a front locker in you really prevent yourself from using 4wd in the snow at any "road" speeds.

Wheeling, in the snow, fun but on side hills, you're gonna go down..no biggie as long as you're at trail speeds and can correct as needed.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 8, 2006, 8:33am

Personally I like an open front axle and a mild locker or power lock in the rear axle.