Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: binfordm715 : Stencil progress

Default binfordm715 : Stencil progress

Stencil progress
    Post by binfordm715 on Sept 19, 2006, 2:23pm

I was just finishing up the second hood stencil about half an hour ago when Jennifer showed up with the camera.

Here's a shot of the temporary parking area for the M715 with the trusses leaning against the outside of the structure (braced on the other side!) I've got 23 of those suckers; 30 feet wide. It's going to make for a very nice travel trailer storage/M715 parking/shop in the next few weeks.....

While I was beginning to remove the stencils from the passenger side, Jennifer got this nice shot of the driver's side, which I had done about 1/2 hour before. It turned out pretty good!

I blew it on the rear TP40 stickers and the fuel caution--I let the paint dry too much, so the lettering just pulled right up with the stencils. (Beast, I'll be in touch for replacements soon!)

So here I pulled the stencil right after I shot the paint.

A little bit of the inner parts of the stencils to pull out, being careful not to smear yellow on my green.....

It worked just fine! I'm absolutely thrilled with it! Paint's still wet, but hopefully it will be dry enough (and not raining) when I pick Nick up from school in three hours. He'll be seriously surprised if I show up in the M715!

Default porkchop :

Re: Stencil progress
    Post by porkchop on Sept 19, 2006, 2:32pm

That yellow looks good. Still wondering why you used the letters with the breaks in them. Also refresh my memory why you went with only 5 numbers.

My kids love it when I would take them to school in the truck. They show it off to all their friends.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Sept 19, 2006, 5:01pm

I just think the stencil breaks make it look more military. Gotta be a little different.

I went with only 5 numbers because that's my license plate number (Collector Vehicle has digits only, 5 currently). The other neat thing will be I'll be able to tell those who really know their stuff--most will think 5 digits is normal. It'll be fun to see who calls me on it!

Weather's too iffy to drive it to school with not-quite-dry paint.

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on Sept 19, 2006, 6:47pm

Man, that does look good.

Nice work. How hard did you find it to keep neat and organized?

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 19, 2006, 9:01pm

Man Tim that looks great, I sure wish I could see it in person this weekend. I won't be making the FE afterall. Sorry guys, sometimes work and family have to come first.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Sept 19, 2006, 10:35pm

Quote:
    I won't be making the FE afterall. Sorry guys, sometimes work and family have to come first.

Dog!

JPete: Beast's stencils made it a snap! Plug-n-play, all the way. Peel off the backing and stick the stencil in position, peel off the cover, then you're left with essentially a vinyl sticker--a negative sticker of what you're going to paint. Then I painted and peeled the vinyl off. Some of the vinyl from inside the numbers (such as the 0 and the 8) didn't peel off with the rest, so I had to carefully pull them off with my fingertips (as I'm doing there in the last picture) or with needle-nose pliers. But they worked great, once I pulled my head out and didn't let the paint dry before pulling the stencil off!

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Sept 20, 2006, 6:41am

hey !!!!! Where did you get that canopy and what size is it???? Will your truck fit under it with the truck bed canopy on? But really? What size? and where?

Default beast :

Post by beast on Sept 20, 2006, 8:11am

Looks good Tim! I'm glad the stencils are working out well for you. An easier way to remove the inner pieces is with the point of a razor knife. Also once you place the stencil, a little light sanding in the middle of the letters will help the paint grab on to the semi-gloss better. Just be careful not to rough up the edges of the stencil or you might roll the edge and ruin it. I'll cut replacements today and get them going. We can worry about settling up later.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Sept 20, 2006, 10:14am

Hold on there, Beast!

I'm thinking perhaps I'd prefer the fuel caution to be vinyl labels instead of stencils. That thing would be a serious pizzed-off biatch to remove while the paint is still wet! Can you do that one in labels, and still have the broken stencil font?

Also, the fuel and highbeam stickers were huge. Could you do those in little size. Like 1/4" tall or less? White lables, non-broken.

Finally, could I get a "NO SMOKING" label for the inside bottom of the windshield? In yellow stickers with broken-stencil font 1/2" tall?

Just let me know what it all costs and I'll PayPal you or send you a check. Whatever you prefer.

Thanks!

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Sept 20, 2006, 10:22am

Quote:
    hey !!!!! Where did you get that canopy and what size is it???? Will your truck fit under it with the truck bed canopy on? But really? What size? and where?

That's the canopy they sell at Costco that I've often mentioned.

The sidewalls are 6-1/2 feet tall and the height at the area where the side of the truck is is about 8-1/2 feet high. It is 10 feet wide by 20 feet deep. Center (peak) height is maybe 10 feet. (I didn't measure that.)

Costco sells them for $170 and the current ones come complete with both side walls and both end walls, with a zippered "door" on one end. The legs have plastic feet with holes for you to mount them to railroad ties or whatever. That one in the picture is about 6 years old, and still hanging in there. They are FANTASTIC.