ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old September 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Basic Trainee

ldj1002 is a Soldier
Default Need wiring help

I am putting in new mechanical op and temp gauges and a 12V fuel gauge. I still have a 24V system so I will come off 1 battery for the 12V for fuel gauge. I'll use toggle switch to turn gauge off. Then I was gona clean up the wiring by removing some toggle switches and a push button switch which were for extra lights and a siren. One of the toggle switches has a piece (About 4") of factory wiring going to it with the # 490 on it. I looked in a schematic I found trying to find out what circuit 490 is. It goes from H on trailer plug to # 24 wire, looks very short. Another schematic for lighting only doesn't show anything there. Since I have a piece of 490 that was under my dash, I assume it used to be back at trailer plug. I haven't looked back there yet to see if I see where it was removed from. What was the H on trailer plug for and why is it shown on 1 schematic and not on the other?

My flashers don't work. To save me time trying to figure out how to troubleshoot this, does any one have a good procedure? There is current coming to steering column because it it lights up when I move lever? My truck is 7-67 delivery date #12631.
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier

This is an early truck with the large underhood distribution box not the later solid state type turn signals I think?

Its not good to draw more off one battery than the other by tapping one for 12 volts...the states of charge between the 2 will get farther apart until one goes bad...unless you charge the 2 batteries seperately on a regular basis.

Wire 24 is: Light switch to blackout tail lamp
Wire 490 is a short wire spliced to wire #24 and runs to the trailer receptacle for the blackout tail lamp.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Basic Trainee

ldj1002 is a Soldier

I do know about taking more off 1 battery isn't good. But fuel gauge? No more current than it draws surely it won't cause a problem. You check cells with hydrometer and in the old days when you could stick a volt gage on the lead straps between cells, there is always a difference in cell charge. Not much but some.

I don't know if my flasher is solid state or not but I think it is. It has heat sink fins all over top id that helps identify it.
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Corporal

amphi is a Soldier

According to the link below this is the pin-out description for the eight wires in the receptacle:
http://www.tpub.com/content/operator...1-14-P0073.htm

A. LEFT B.O. TAIL
B. LEFT SERVICE STOP
C. RIGHT B.O. TAIL
D. GROUND
E. SERVICE TAIL AND CLEARANCE
F. B.O. STOP
H. B.O. CLEARANCE
J. RIGHT SERVICE STOP

See this link for wire number descriptions:
http://www.olive-drab.com/7070301_ci...bers_dolph.pdf

What style turn signal system do you have?
Both can be seen in this link:
http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...signal_convert