Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrman : NP205 part numbers

Default barrman : NP205 part numbers

NP205 part numbers
    Post by barrman on Jul 24, 2006, 1:52pm

I think Lanty is our only MOPAR parts guy. But, I figured the rest of you would like to see what he finds out.

I finally made it to PC's the other day to get the parts off a NP200 to add the stock e-brake to a NP205. I plan to take pictures and report any part numbers and procedures I come across. Right now, my students are cleaning all the parts to make them sparkle.

While they were doing that, I started messing with the speedometer gears. I am talking about the little bitty one the speedo cable goes onto. Not the big one around the output shaft. The NP200 gear had 17 teeth and besides being metal, seems to be just like the plastic ones found on GM cars for years.

My '73 Ramcharger NP205 does not have interchangable gear. The gear and speedometer cable fitting are all one piece. It has 14 teeth on it. It is removable though and the entire thing can be swapped out.

It also has a part number. #2225026-14. I am curious if that is still a valid number and if others with a -15 or -16 or -17 are available and for how much? Without having both main shaft gears to compare, I really can't figure out speedometer differences until I run it. Knowing that I can get different gears with the above numbers would help. I can probably get a picture in a few days if it would help, but not today.

Thanks.

Default elwenil :

Re: NP205 part numbers
    Post by elwenil on Jul 24, 2006, 2:26pm

2225026 superceeds to 4329814 and both numbers are cancelled. The -14 probably does mean the number of teeth, but it is not part of the part number. The other tooth count part numbers would be different. I can check around a bit but there probably are only 1 or 2 of the latest numbers available.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Jul 24, 2006, 2:31pm

Ok, there are close to 100 of these darn things depending on what adaptor the 205 is using. The catalog I am having to look at is the 90-93 Truck Parts Manual and while it does list the 4329814 number, it is still cancelled so I can't verify which ones might still be available. They do range from 14-43 teeth.

Default davea :

Post by davea on Jul 24, 2006, 4:34pm

If it is a steel gear like the G.M. "pencil" gears then it is also used in the G.M. SM465 truck 4spd.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jul 25, 2006, 7:56am

Thanks guys. I will get pictures of both today and get them posted Wednesday or Thursday.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jul 27, 2006, 7:51am

Here is a picture.

The one on the left is the 205 and the right is the 200 gear.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jul 28, 2006, 9:19am

I also took pictures of the rear output seal housing. The one that is almost interchangable to make the e-brake work.

Here are the two side by side.

You can see the grooves cut in the smaller NP205 cover compared to the flat surface on the NP200.

Here is why they are different. This is the rear bearing for the 200. It looks like a wheel bearing and doesn't stick out past the case any.

Here is the much bigger 205 rear bearing. Notice it is balls and the outter race sticks out some. Along with a huge c-clip around the race. That is why the seal cover needs to be recessed.

I am going to get a friend who owns an oil field supply machine shop let me use his lathe to cut the recess in the 200 e-brake part. My lathe isn't big enough. (He doesn't have anything small enough to do automotive size heads, otherwise he would have done my BBC heads the first time in case anybody was thinking that.)

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jul 28, 2006, 9:21am

I am going to keep doing these update post as I work through the 200-205 e-brake swap. But, I will do a complete post when all done so don't worry if you missed something.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jul 28, 2006, 9:35am

Tim, you shouolda asked Joe at the FE. Him and Todd did that to his truck years ago.

Not sure if the old guys still remember the details though.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jul 28, 2006, 9:58am

I thought Joe did the out put swap on the 200. I just need a cheaper source for the 32 spline flange and that should be about it once I cut the above grooves. Tom is sure that he paid "$40 or so" for the flange from High Angle. Jesse told me on the phone last week that he sells them for $99 and they will need to be greatly modified to work on my application. I can "greatly modify" a lot of stuff that cost less than that to start with. I am going to spend a few hours at NAPA and the local semi parts places in the next few days to find something close for a lot less.