Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator/alternator

Default Generator/alternator

Is their a way to lubricate the stock generator? Mine seems a little squeaky at idle. I noticed that their's a small plug on top, very close to the pulley area. Any chance that this is a lube point?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Which one do you have? There were at least 3 different versions of alternators used by the military. I am pretty sure one of the versions had a way to lubricate things.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Which one do you have? There were at least 3 different versions of alternators used by the military. I am pretty sure one of the versions had a way to lubricate things.
    Mine says generator and it's quite large. About the size of a football. Has the little square electrical cover on the top rear. On the front top their is a plug that looks almost like a pipe fitting plug. Similar to the plug on the bottom of the gas tank, or side of the trans. Not sure what that plug would be for, but it does sit directly over the generator center shaft. I think the manual said that the generator/alternator's are lubed and sealed, but almost 50 years old is a long time running.
    I'm going to go out and take another look, because now that I think about it, I thought it said something on the generator, right under the plug and on the face of the gen. I needed a flashlight to see it and I totally forgot to look again. I'll let you know the outcome.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

O.K. my mistake. First off the little square electrical cover is closer to the front than the rear. The words on the front face of generator and below the plug on the top say Increase Voltage. Not sure if that plug and the increase voltage words are related in any way. Does turning in that plug have any effect on the voltage? My generator still has the steel plate with all the info on it and where it was manufactured.

The allen wrench plug on top, at the pulley end, is to gain access to adjust the voltage.

I would love to know the answer to this, as my generator looks and works like new.
    But I know the 50 year old bearing grease has to be drying up, and will suffer from this fate.

Thanks Dan, good info. You're picture is my generator exactly. What is under that plug that is used to adjust the voltage? Also, what is the advantage of adjusting the voltage, or why would it need adjusting?
    Do you feel the need to maybe lubricate the generator shaft? 50 years of turning certainly warrants some type of lube.

Just dawned on me, I have a friend who owns a generator/alternator repair shop. I need to stop in and ask him his feelings or suggestions on this matter. I'll get in there as soon as I can and then pass on what I was told.

Just to be clear, there were NO generators used on the M715...they are ALL alternators.
    Where generators dont charge at idle, the later alternators do...among a few other things...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I've always been a little confused about that Jon. I never know whether to tell people it's a generator or alternator. Why does the metal plate attached to it say generator?

Call it Fake News.

Pretty much all vehicles had a DC generator until around 1967 or so. Then, all vehicles switched over to an AC generator. Can you imagine the confusion at the parts counter when you walk in looking for a generator for your 1967 Camaro? "Uh, is that in AC or DC generator?"

The military suppliers didn't go for it and continued to call them generators. Some of the manuals for MV's called the AC generators AC generators and some called them Alternators though. With military stuff, it is easy. If it has a huge cable going to a box on the firewall, it is a DC generator. If it has a single big wire coming in and an exicter wire, it is an AC generator or Alternator.

So, even though all alternators are AC generators. The car/parts companies called them Alternators to avoid confusion and to make them sound better somehow.

A few years later that was all wasted when each company started phasing in internal regulated alternators on some models for some years. They couldn't think of a fancier name than Alternator so people for years got the wrong replacement parts anyway.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw