Thread: porkchop : retubing a driveshaft

Default porkchop : retubing a driveshaft

retubing a driveshaft
    Post by porkchop on Sept 22, 2006, 8:27am

Anyone ever done it on their own? I made an attempt years ago but didn't have to much luck. The reason I ask is because the stock jackshaft is to short and the one I may be getting from Lucky is to long. Around here they want $65 to retube and $55 to cut down . It is just the jackshaft so I can't figure out why it is that much. How important is balance on the jackshaft? Should I try it or am I just crazy?

Default elwenil :

Re: retubing a driveshaft
    Post by elwenil on Sept 22, 2006, 9:46am

Balance on the intermediate shaft (Mopar term) is critical. If it's out even a little it will vibrate like crazy and self destruct in short order. My '74 W100 had one that was a little out of whack and it would fly apart about once a month. It finally took out the yokes and I had to buy a new shaft and all the yokes. I upgraded to Spicer U-bolt style yokes at that time. All in all the whole deal cost me about $210.

As for doing it yourself, it can be done, but you really have to think about how the welds will pull it. I personally wouldn't do it again since all my previous attempts have failed. It's good to get you off the trail, but not for highway speed.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Sept 22, 2006, 11:16am

I agree that it is not good for highway speeds but my truck will not see to many highway miles. I just can't afford the prices the locals are asking.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Sept 22, 2006, 11:40am

For what it's worth an out of balance situation can be worked around, it's the out of alignment deal that can screw you. If you can weld on up straight you can balance one by experimenting with hose clamps. By moving the screw clamp around the shaft it will offset the balance and can make a huge difference. There is a procedure to doing it but the only place I know of to find it is a Mopar Oval Track and Chassis manual.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Sept 22, 2006, 12:10pm

Gee...I can help there....

DRIVESHAFT BALANCING

See Figures 10, 11 and 12

Fig. 10: Install a screw clamp with the screw at any position

Fig. 11: If the vibration decreases, install a second clamp

Fig. 12: If the second clamp causes additional vibration, rotate the clamps in opposite directions

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Sept 22, 2006, 12:11pm

99% OF HOME MADE SHAFTS ARNT TRUE RUNNING.......