Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radiator re-core or new?

Default radiator re-core or new?

so i got a chance to play in the st patrick's day snow just before my radiator puked a nice film of green glycol over everything to help in the celebration. after inpsection it looks like it needs a new core. so im wondering if it is just easier to buy new or have it re-cored. or is there something i overlooked?

thanks guys
    ian
    Formerly 1967 M715 #13889

If you're in a reasnably large town (50K or more), you most likely have a radiator shop than can re-core your existing radiator. Let your fingers do the walking in the Yellow Pages.

I would think that re-core would be less exspensive than a new radiator, plus finding a new one might be difficult.
    Zone holster maker

I agree...get it recored...it will look and perform like new! Why spend $100 or more for a used one off here plus shipping? With my luck, I'd buy a used one and six months later that one would leak...lol
    If your a decent solderer, get an acytlene torch or map torch and some good solder/flux and fix yours!

there is a shop nearby that can re-core it, just thought i would ask for a few opinions first.
    ian

Quote Originally Posted by IAN_M715 View Post
    there is a shop nearby that can re-core it, just thought i would ask for a few opinions first.
    New radiators are anywhere from $500-600 (then add shipping) last year when I was looking. I decided to re-core mine and there has been no problems. I paid around $300 to get it done locally.
    1969 M715 WO/W

Quote Originally Posted by dhood View Post
    New radiators are anywhere from $500-600 (then add shipping) last year when I was looking. I decided to re-core mine and there has been no problems. I paid around $300 to get it done locally.
    Wow...$300 to get it recored? Man I feel lucky for once...there is a guy locally who does them for many shops and several auto parts stores nearby and he gets $125-$150 for your average radiator...unless you had a four core or specialty radiator. He doesn't even charge me tax and sells radiators at cost to me...he fixed my M715 gastank for $40 cash to patch up a hole by brazing it...alot cheaper than me chancing it with gasoline vapors igniting.

Wow, you got a good thing going!

Ian, you're planning to keep the stock engine, right? Then recore is what I'd do. But if you might consider an engine swap at some point, I'd get a replacement radiator that would handle whatever engine I plan to put in.
    -- Tim Taylor

finally pulled it out last night and noticed that 1/2" along the bottom is completely gone. found a shop who is way too excited to recore the radiator. turns out it is owned by a relative of my wife's family. it is being dropped off today. im hoping for the extended family discout $$$. i think when i replace the engine i'll definately get a new unit. and transmission.
    ian