Thread: My gas pedal ripped loose.......Idle issue now

Default My gas pedal ripped loose.......Idle issue now

Hey, My "real jeep (logo)" gas pedal came loose (rubber hinge) was being held by a thread anyhow so it's been off the road for a week....... but got a new one from White Owl and installed it this evening....
    Now, dang if I can get the truck to idle.....(checked for vacuum leaks) got both screws all the way in and it spits sputters then stalls..........at idle.
    I read the "search" area (Great info source by the way) and see some general info about the idle jets....but the articles were about carter carbs...... since I have the holly carb,
    here's the question
    (IS THE GENERAL IDEA THE SAME) -with the Holly carb- LOOK INTO THE CARB AND CLEAN THE IDLE JETS) if so......in the morning I think I'll check the idle jets
    I wanna drive it some more but can't deal with the stalling

Changing the pedal itself isn't going to do anything at all to the carb.

Sounds like simple coincidence, . . the pedal should not effect the idle, unless something was binding the throttle linkage. Start by pulling the idle mixture screws, making sure they are clean and blow a little compressed air gently through the idle screw ports. Put your mixture screws in; screw them in until the just bottom, then back out 1-1/2 turns. Start the engine, get it warm, then adjust your idle with the screws until it runs right, and then reset the curb idle speed. Be careful not to lean it out too much. As far as your question Carter vs. Holley, . .the idle circuit and adjustment work essentially the same.

Red face Sure enough it's...............

I decided to pull the carb and pop a beer while pondering it in the back yard today........ 74 degrees in Florida....ya know!

Well, well, it sure enough had the smaller orfice completly plugged, bet ya a beer thats the idle jet area, AND the idle adjusting screw was "all the way in"
    Looks like this was a problem for the previous owner too! So I'm cleaning it up (while popping another beer) then I'll reinstall to see what happens!
    More to follow~!
    Later

Talking Mixture "SCREWS" only have one I can see..........

The Holly only has one idle screw that I can see. I pulled a diagram off the net.
    Only one curb idle..... as mentioned above the one jet was completly plugged, most likely the idle jet.
    So I'll set the "one" idle screw as you mentioned, out 1 1/2 and see what happens....(after opening another beer of course) P.S. It was screwed almost all the way in!

more to follow

Talking We have idle................

Well another case closed!
    The cleaning of the openings in the carb throat did the trick, cleaned the carb while I had it off.
    We have idle....idle mixture screw a few turns out now and idle screw way out to with lots of travel now.
    Now to take a spin in it.......still 75 degrees here...a bit windy though....
    Thanks for the input!