Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who turned off summer? It was in the high 90's and wham... Low 70's and we had a night of 39 degrees. There is a lot of talk that this will be a bad winter coming up. Conditions exactly like the winter of 96. There was 9 measured feet of snow on the ground. Mkay... I see fearmart is having some sales right now and people are buying. I guess we will see when it happens.
    So my wifes brother was here for most of July. I did not get much done and honestly the change of pace was welcome. We were sorry to see him depart for home in Alaska. What a great visit. First in order is to get Glenn his cab and data plates back. I swapped cabs with him but mine needed some repairs before taking it to him. Again, thank you Glenn for reducing my cab work.
    Two issues needed fixing. One was later model door latches were welded to the body. Even the screws were welded over. I did some careful grinding and facing and presto, gone...

Both sides cleaned up and painted to protect the metal till Glenn gets to his project.

Next was a hole in the floor at the back of the trans hump. Here it is covered with a rivet attached cover.

Drilled the rivets and punched them to the floor with a drift. So cut with tin snips and edges were as bent as heck. Can't weld a patch to this so there was a lot of edge work first. Then minor clean up for a patch. Oh yes, lots of degreasing underneath first.

Straightening using what ever worked.

I use thick fiber board for patterning. It is great stuff. Like the back of a note tablet but a little thicker.

Continued...
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; August 8th, 2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: picture check