Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter

you know you can take the starter ring off the flywheel and turn it around and reinstall it right. this will give you good fresh teeth for the starter.
    m.

I didn't know that, anyhow, I already bought an NOS AMC Jeep brand ring gear and sent it to the machine shop for instillation.

I just picked up the rebuilt starter. Turned out that the center shaft was broken in half. New ones are pretty much non-exsistent, so they took a larger one and turned down on a lathe. Cost $30 more than the estimate, but at least I'll be able to get the truck running this weekend!

I just received the used starter from a M715 site member and it does not look like the one on my M715. It looks like the 12v version in this link (belt around the middle):

12 Volt Starter Questions

There is no tag on it either. Is it possible that it is 24v (were there 2 different case styles?)?

from my understanding of the thread, 24 volt only came with the larger housing(no band), but 12 volt could come either way, chances are you got a 12 volt civilian starter-it will work but will tend to wear out faster(faster spin ups)

considering how rare starters seem to be definitely worth keeping as a spare anyways

I would say it is possible the 12 volt came either way...we dont know if there were 12 volts ones built with the 24 volt case style or if the 2 that members have noted that are 12 volt in the 24 volt case are simply 24 volt starters rewound...at least one of them is a known rebuild...

The jury is still out on this one...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Rambob, if you need another starter, I have a couple, and drive past Shoreview every day!.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by bullmoose View Post
    Rambob, if you need another starter, I have a couple, and drive past Shoreview every day!.

Lee
    Lee, I had mine rebuilt and it works great. I also bought an extra from a member here and wanted to make sure it would work when the one in my truck gives up down the road. Thanks for the offer though!

Bob

RamBob:
    Where did you get your starter rebuilt?