Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easy way to install a 12v radio?

Default Easy way to install a 12v radio?

What is the best and cheapest way to install a 12v stereo into a 24v system? I would really like to add an amp, but do not know if the 24 to 12v converters will handle it? Any advice would be helpful....all stock m715 24v.
    Chris

I have a 20 amp constant/23 amp peak converter...dont know how much you need...got mine for around $70. To go much higher...like 30-35 amps, price will be around $200-250 to get one with good efficiency.

You can run 2 alternators, 1 in 24 and 1 in 12 volts and 3 batteries to work everything out...complex, yes----most stable, yes as well.

Thanks Brute,
    Will that be ok for a small amp? I dont know how to figure what draw it will have....another thing, where did you find the converter?
    C

I'm with Jon. How big an amp are you planning on? Or more to the point, is this a 40w radio & an 8" sub or a SYSTEM(booming voice)?
    For the small setup the easiest thing is a converter like Jon's. For a SYSTEM (booming voice) go with the additional 12v alternator and a battery under the hood. Not even that complex really. Alt & batt on the pass side with wiring run straight back into the glove box for a hidden stereo - stealth is all you've got w/o locking doors.

To figure how many Amps something uses, you need to know the Wattage and Voltage.
    Divide the Watts the devce needs to operate, not the watts an amp is rated for...input wattage is what you want....divide the input wattage by the voltage...example:

If the input wattage is 50 and it is 12 volt, 50/12 is 4.166 amps.

Sometimes the item will list the input wattage, or the draw, sometimes the amps will be listed.

I got my converter from Samlex America. Normally they dont sell direct to the public...but they do list their dealers on their website...they used to sell reconditioned units direct from their website...I have had one of them for 7 years now. Not sure what the full prie will be. Go to:

http://samlexamerica.com/

The one I have is this one, under dc to dc step down converters
    http://samlexamerica.com/products/pr...roductsID=6004

I would not use the watt rating for a stereo. Too many times you will get the "wished for" spec from the manufacturer. Look at the box for current rating or amp draw. If you have access to the back of the radio, it should have a fuse inline with the power lead. That fuse will tell you all you need to know.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Why not just run an isolated 12 volt sub-system off the current 24v system ?

One thing you never want to do is take 12v off one of the batteries, as this results in one battery being either under or overcharged depending which battery is tapped.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

If both batteries are the same rating and manufacturer, the internal resistance is the same, within normal tolerance. Meaning 12 to 14 volts is available across either battery. Using the battery with the common "frame or ground" is the easiest way to go. Unless one of the batteries is shorted or has a bad cell, no problems will result. Even so, modern electronics will take 11 to 18 volts without a problem.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

If you weren't planning on running a huge amount of equipment, I'd just run a sub fuse panel off of one battery and power my radio with that.

If amps and such are involved, then you may overwhelm one of the batteries.