Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brakes Locked up?

Dan,
    Does this kit look correct to you? $212 includes shipping cost.

Dot 5 has a different chemical composition and will leak in places that DOT3 and DOT4 will not
    Yes and No.

Dot 5 is a silicone based fluid is doesn't absorb water the way DOT3 and DOT4 (glycol based) do. That is why the military uses it. It keeps the brake system from corroding.

I have been using in my vehicles for more than 10 years. I have fewer brake problems with DOT5 than I have with DOT3. I don't know where the leak info comes from but I have not seen any of higher incidence of leaks. Actually, less since I have fewer brake system problems with DOT5. My ranch M715 with DOT5 hasn't had to have brakes replaced in over 10 years and they still work fine.

I use DOT5 in all my vehicles without ABS brakes. It keeps the system working better.

Kwai,
    You have me convinced to replace the entire brake system. Well, that and the fact that my system is completely corroded. I couldn't get the fittings out of the rubber lines and the steel brake lines lines twisted and snapped when I had to force the fittings loose. Lots of rust. The truck was in Michigan.

I couldn't find DOT 4, but I found a DOT 3/4 combo with a higher boiling point (470 degrees). When I replace the system, I'll try DOT 5 as you suggest. The NAPA parts guy at my local shop recommended DOT 3 because that's what these old cars used back then, but I had to tell him the M715 used silicone fluid because these trucks were originally made to be waterproof up to 60".

I am using the DOT3/4 for now just to get in the parade, but after installing that brake line kit, I will use the DOT 5 I guess.

Kwai, do you think that brake line kit looks accurate? I'd like t order it before I take out the brake lines of my truck, so I have it and I don't have a lot of downtime again. I am not retired yet, so I don't have much time except in Summer, and I want to rebuild (remanufacture) a second engine this year.
    Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; November 13th, 2019 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    Dan,
    Does this kit look correct to you? $212 includes shipping cost.

No, I don't think so.
    That looks to be for an early full size jeep truck, but not the M715.
    Let me look through my junk, as I kept my old lines for reference. Maybe I can take a few photos.
    I don't think that I ever wadded them up and tossed them out.
    Last edited by jeepdan; November 10th, 2019 at 08:18 AM.

Wow, that would be great Dan! They advertise that kit as being for the M715.
    That's not the first time I bought parts that weren't right but were advertised as being for the M715. Thanks for the head's up!

I was able to get the new rubber lines installed, but I had to buy new brake line segments and use compression fittings.

The rear wheel cylinders were a bear. For some reason the bleed screws were rusted in solidly so they stripped, and the driver's side rear wheel cylinder bolts were rusted in and stripped. I had to take the brakes out of both rear wheels to do the job. My last two days were in brake H**l ! haha... I was working on brakes at night.

Then I flushed the system with alcohol. I blew the lines out with compressed air and opened up all the lines for the alcohol to evaporate overnight. I wanted to get any crud in the old lines out and I wanted the DOT 3 out.

This morn I will put in the DOT 3/4 fluid, push all the air out of the lines, and take her for a test drive.

Fingers crossed. Photos forthcoming.

Photos to come as soon as I get new batteries for my camera

That said, the lines shown in that illustration have to be for a civilian J truck. Not a M715

One dead giveaway is that the line going to the rear has the hose fitting on the passenger side, and it doesn't have the proper rise up over the transfer case cross member. Original rearward line is also two pieces joined by a coupler.

The others do not look correct either.

Honestly, you should pull the old lines out and make your own.
    Not that difficult with a few tools that you buy at the auto parts store.

And make sure that you use flare fittings, not compression. Also, no copper lines, it must be steel.

The first picture is a compression fitting. Suitable for plumbing but not for brake lines.

The second one is for steel (or stainless steel) brake line. It must be a double flare, not single flare (which is used in copper gas lines and copper water tubing etc.) It is OK for the union to be brass. All of this stuff can be gotten from O'Reilly Auto Parts, NAPA etc. If you cut and flare your own tubing, there is a special double flare tool that does that. Not hard to do. I did all of the brake lines and fuel lines on my truck here at home.

Third item is the double flare tool. I would bet that you can get one rather inexpensively at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I will be in the parade boys. Ooooh Raaah!

Photos tomorrow.

Yep, I double flared the tubing ends. Bending tubing, even with a bender is challenging.

Thanks for the info about the brakes. I am sooo grateful!

Free meals at Famous Dave's BBQ for lunch. All the military vehicles will be there. Parking lot is going to look so cool tomorrow!

All right!
    Please get a few photos for us to see.

We had a member send the stock brake lines to classic tube years back and they duplicated them...several have bought them and they are correct...they do come in a box that changes them around a bit and it can be challenging to figure which is which and get them back to the shape needed to mount them correctly...we must have old threads on it but don’t know if the pics links are good yet...will try to find and post a link...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!