Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: batistabomb : spring over/flip shackle conversion

Default batistabomb : spring over/flip shackle conversion

spring over/flip shackle conversion
    Post by batistabomb on Aug 5, 2006, 6:49am

can anyone please tell me or send the step by step procedures for doing the spring over/flip shackles conversion on a 1967 M715? all help would be appreciated. also let me know what other parts or supplies i'll have to have other than my factory components.

Default tacomainoh :

Re: spring over/flip shackle conversion
    Post by tacomainoh on Aug 5, 2006, 12:51pm

maybe one of us can just come on over and do the swap for you too?

ok, that was harsh. What are you doing the swap for? You may need: new driveshafts, new steering components, moved spring perches, longer brake lines, different steering setups, etc etc etc
    Kind of depends on what you're trying to do....

Default hetzer :

Post by hetzer on Aug 5, 2006, 1:03pm

Tacoma...I think it's easy to get the impression from reading here that all you have to do is flip and bang around a bit and it's done.

I can't say for sure I've seen it all laid out info wise as to what needs to be done.

Let's say, the least you wanted to do was run bigger tires than stock. With no real information to go by other than poking around and reading " spring over and shackle flip", it can lead to the question.

I'm not to the point in being ready to do that yet, so I haven't bothered asking about it.

(I guess I'm validating his question from the FNG point of view.)

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 5, 2006, 1:10pm

no, you're right. That's why I put the short list of possible other stuff needed.

There is certainly a lot more to nearly any mod than most of us let on. Usually not just "bolt one thing in and that's that."

but you make a good point.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Aug 5, 2006, 3:46pm

Unless you just want really large tires, go with the 11.00 16 XZL's or XL's. they look really good, 38" tall.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Aug 5, 2006, 3:53pm

Not the best pic's but a good idea how they look

Default kaizenator :

Post by kaizenator on Aug 5, 2006, 4:42pm

They are great tires for M trucks

Default pistolnut :

Post by pistolnut on Aug 5, 2006, 9:10pm

I think this is something on a lot of people's minds. I know that I am considering it. It looks pretty simple, but it isn't. The old site had a lot of info about this, but I would like to see someone that has done it and made it work post up with all of the info about what works and what doesn't, what you have to buy, and what a big deal it really is. Also, there is the whole issue of the potential steering problems and such.

Let's talk about this.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 5, 2006, 10:19pm

well....

it's simple... ish, but it's not EASY. Careful examination of one's motives helps here, because you can screw up your truck pretty good w/this particular issue, and it's not really worth it unless you really need to do it.

/rant. hahah

Default dummy :

Post by dummy on Aug 6, 2006, 4:01pm

Shackle Flip:
    1) Chock front tires and jack both rears off ground w/ jack under D70 centersection
    2) Remove rear tires
    3) Put jackstands directly in front of rear spring hangers or on framerails in front of rear bumper to support rear of truck
    4) Lower rear axle (leave jack under centersection)
    5) Remove rear breather/brake block so rear line doesn't get overextended
    6) Remove spring U-bolts and plates
    7) Lower axle to ground (leave on jack - you're just making room for springs to clear backing plates as they're removed)
    8) Remove front spring bolt & unbolt shackle from shackle hanger
    9) Remove spring w/ shackle attached, flip shackle position, and reassemble
    10) You'll need longer rear shocks and you could drop the rear brake line to prevent overextension

*you can't just unbolt the shackle and flip it with the spring still installed because the spring hits the frame mounted shackle pin

As for the spring-over on the front, I haven't done it to an M-715 so I'll let somebody else chime in. It's already got crossover steering, so as long as the drag link doesn't contact the spring you're probably looking at simply welding perches on the top of your axle, and adding longer front shocks and brake lines. You'll probably need a dropped pitman arm to counter bumpsteer and your front driveshaft may need to be lengthened slightly.