Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: elohim1 : B&M pro ratchet shifter ? with th400

Default tacomainoh :

Re: B&M pro ratchet shifter ? with th400
    Post by tacomainoh on Sept 17, 2006, 1:59pm

I hated the B&M in the 725. Pain in the ass.

I'll be using a nice column shifter to make room for all the junk on the floor: cutting brakes, triple stick Doubler shifters, front and rear PTO levers.... and my winch O/D shifter too. That's 8 levers.

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Sept 17, 2006, 5:50pm

I love a column shifter........... till you get some body flex, and get your trans shifted for you.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Sept 18, 2006, 7:07am

I don't recommend any B&M shifter. From all the ones I've found in used cars we have bought they are worn out and don't work worth a crap. In my opinion Hurst is much better quality.

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Sept 18, 2006, 7:34am

Quote:
    I don't recommend any B&M shifter. From all the ones I've found in used cars we have bought they are worn out and don't work worth a crap. In my opinion Hurst is much better quality.
    I have to disagree with that statement. I have been drag racing, and running mud trucks for over 25 years, I couldnt even tell you how many B&M's I have installed, or used in these vehicles, and 0 failures. Even the open mud Jeeps, when they set in the off season they get a little stiff. Just hose them out, lube them up and go.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 18, 2006, 8:56am

Sounds like another version of the Ford v. Chevy debate. I would have to agree with Lanny though about used car shifters. I used to be in the used car business and it seems that every car I every came across with one installed didn't shift right or work properly. I think it has more to do with installation and care issues with the former owner more than anything else, but. From that perspective. Hurst looks better. Maybe it is because every idiot with a magazine thinks they can install one properly and then actually care for it before they screw the rest of the car up so bad they had to trade it off so they can get to work.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Sept 18, 2006, 9:46am

Just to further the discussion, and not to argue, I will say that I have seen and installed B&Ms new that worked fine. But typically the used ones I have run across have worn gates and you have to do the shift and jiggle bit to get to the next gear even when adjusted to spec. I will say just about all of my experience is with ratchet type, reverse lock out shifters from both B&M and Hurst. I have heard nothing but good things about the Art Carr shifters and they are very similar, if not a copy, of the old Cheetah shifter which I have used and were very nice. In all honesty, the Hurst V-Matic 2 dual gate shifter that I had in my '69 Coronet 500 Conv. and in my '84 Ramcharger was the best shifter I have used. In normal use it is a reverse lockout shifter but once you get into the drive modes it will shift from L1 to neutral with no problems in one fluid motion. There are clear indents for each gear, but they don't hinder going from L1 to neutral. I was often shifting from L1 to N and then a little tug on the reverse lock out lever to get to reverse when rocking or doing quick maneuvers in the Ramcharger with it's manual valve body. Since it was a dual gate shifter, you could shift to neutral and push the handle down and then ratchet it back through the gears if needed. That worked pretty good when bumping around as I could hold onto the shifter without knocking it out of gear and could up and down shift quickly when needed. If I were to ever own another automatic equipped truck, I would put another V-Matic 2 in it.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 18, 2006, 10:03am

I wasn't trying to argue either. I think I wrote that, but wanted to make it clear.

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Sept 18, 2006, 11:18am

On an interesting side note: I was watching From Dust to Glory this weekend (HIGHLY recommended watching) which is about the history of the Baja 1000. From what I could see on all the in-car footage, a LOT of Baja guys are running the Art Carr style shifters too...

If you guys haven't seen it, I would even recommend BUYING the DVD... Lots of cool gear-head stuff from Motorcycles, to $1M trophy trucks, down to stock pre-1972 VW Bugs.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Sept 18, 2006, 11:53am

Quote:
    I wasn't trying to argue either. I think I wrote that, but wanted to make it clear.

I know what you mean Tim, that's just my disclaimer, lol. I more wanted to comment on the dual gate function that various shifters have but I didn't want it to sound so much like I was just ramming my opinion down every one's throat, lol.