Thread: hetzer : Windshield Removal

Default hetzer : Windshield Removal

Windshield Removal
    Post by hetzer on Oct 7, 2006, 10:19am

Anybody had one out lately?

I tried when I had the frame off the truck and having looked at the online manuals. I must have missed something along the line 'cause it didn't want to come apart easily.

I'd like to get it out to work on cleaning and painting the frame. I can tell by prying up in the corners there's some rust under there.

Default 40grit :

Re: Windshield Removal
    Post by 40grit on Oct 7, 2006, 2:41pm

Howdy Kurt,
    I took mine apart not too long ago...
    first pry out the little rubber lock lip, it should be in the middle of the rubber on the outside ( at least that's where it was on mine), it'll look like a little line about halfway in from the outer edge all the way around. I used a small screwdriver to "unlock" the lip, it comes undone which allows the rubber to move around a little, then take some tonguedepressors or some screwdrivers and carefully pry all the rubber away from the frame on both sides. you kinda squish the rubber and try and get the outer edge and the inner edge closer together..it'll spring back, but it gives you a little more room. Then carefully pry two upper corners out one side of the frame and slowly move the screwdriver/tonguedressors around the perimeter. this should push the glass slowly out one side.
    I got mine out with out breaking it. I can get some pics to help explain this better in Monday...

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Oct 7, 2006, 3:18pm

lubrication such as soapy water will help with this process.

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Oct 7, 2006, 4:17pm

Quote:
    Howdy Kurt,
    I took mine apart not too long ago...
    first pry out the little rubber lock lip, it should be in the middle of the rubber on the outside ( at least that's where it was on mine), it'll look like a little line about halfway in from the outer edge all the way around. I used a small screwdriver to "unlock" the lip, it comes undone which allows the rubber to move around a little, then take some tonguedepressors or some screwdrivers and carefully pry all the rubber away from the frame on both sides. you kinda squish the rubber and try and get the outer edge and the inner edge closer together..it'll spring back, but it gives you a little more room. Then carefully pry two upper corners out one side of the frame and slowly move the screwdriver/tonguedressors around the perimeter. this should push the glass slowly out one side.
    I got mine out with out breaking it. I can get some pics to help explain this better in Monday...

Yeah I took mine out the same way. Came out without breaking. Then i broke it putting it back in.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Oct 8, 2006, 10:19am

Auto glass guys have a tool that is a platic toung depressor with a point on one end. Allows you to push the rubber around with out breaking the glass (or less chance of breakage) The glass is just laminate safety glass and any good glass shop can replace it for you if you need or want to do that. Silicone spray works well to help lube the rubber up.

Slow and steady will win this race....

Default hetzer :

Post by hetzer on Oct 8, 2006, 7:47pm

Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind the next chance I get at it.

Had other things to do this weekend.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Oct 9, 2006, 6:56am

I'd recommend replacing the windshield gasket while you have it out. It will be much easier to put the glass back in if you don't have to fight a dried up, hard gasket and will make a better seal. I got mine from JC Whipme, but it's slightly smaller in width than the original. I found another through A&M I think but the JC Whipme one was cheaper and I'm not going for a 100% stock resto anyway.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Oct 9, 2006, 6:45pm

I took mine to a glass shop. They had it out in a couple of minutes. I brought the frame back two days later after I had sanded, primed and painted. They cut new glass and put in new rubber.