Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locker

Default Locker

Installed Detroit no spin in rear. No problems going straight or in snow. Turning on dry pavement it sounds like driveline breaking. Loud bangs and loud snapping noises that can be felt. Any ideas as to what might have gone wrong. Installed by mechanic two days ago. Vern

That’s how lockers operate, the two tires are going different speeds so the locker is trying to kelp them at the same speed. I learned to coast through turns, or feather the clutch if I needed more speed.
    The popping means it’s working.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Detroit lockers have very rude road manners. No spin means loud bangs, clanks and jerking, tire wear when driving on high traction surfaces. Meaning pavement. I ran one in my cj5 for several years in my nutjob wheelin days. They are the master for wheeling. They provide very aggressive positraction. The banging is the differentiation it does. The side gear cogs will jump to the next groove with loud reports and some jerking. What you are experiencing is pretty normal for that unit. You will need to use extra caution on ice and snow. Lack of differentiation in the slick can cause loss of control. So just stay alert when on ice in particular.
    A kinder more gentle traction device is the Powr-Loc limited slip. I don't know if they make one for the stock rear in a M715. But Dana 70 Powr-loc's are made. The design of the Powr-loc is ingenious. The same man that helped design the Studebaker assisted with the Powr-loc. The spider gear shafts have a hardened V shaped shaft end. When a wheel spins, the shaft ramps up the side of the V and clamps the clutches providing traction to the non spinning wheel. Some Powr-Loc's you can change curved and flat clutches out to all curved and get a very tight limited slip. Adding just enough additive to eliminate chatter and off you go. The same caution in ice should be used with any limited slip. I am never impressed by the Trac-Loc limited slip. They are paper weights to me. The open differential shines in ice. That is about it for that unit other than reduced tire wear from no scrubbing. I hope that helps explain what you are experiencing.

Thanks for the info I guess I did not expect the violence of its actions I even had it in neutral coasting around corners and just never heard anything like it. I expected some popping and ratcheting noise but this is extremely loud and metallic and jumping until it straightens out. I mean it is BANG, BANG, BANG. Will investigate at shop tomorrow.

Blog Entries

What pumpkin gearing and size tires are you running?

5.83. 37/12.5/16.5

You will also find that the lower the tire pressure. The more easy it is to change lanes with just throttle on or off. Locker steer is very wicked until you are used to it. Then it is just scary.

Not as scary as trying to pull a trailer in the rain with a rear locker. I hope to never do that again.

However, the locker is worth it all off road in my opinion.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    5.83. 37/12.5/16.5
    I'm starting to get a little concerned with this thread. My build hasn't hit the road yet but I put a Detroit locker in a rear Dana 70 w/ 4.56 and 37" tires. My truck will spend at least 50% of its time on-road. I guess I can't have everything ..... off-road traction, on-road capability, etc, etc Also concerned about what I am now reading about performance in snow. Even though I live in Florida. I plan to move to the mountains.

That's the big pull of the electro or OX lockers, so you can get the best of both worlds.
    For my Wrangler in the snow/ice I would put it into 4x4 way sooner than when I have an open rear axle. It kept the manners much better in that kind of weather with a locked rear axle.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    That's the big pull of the electro or OX lockers, so you can get the best of both worlds.
    For my Wrangler in the snow/ice I would put it into 4x4 way sooner than when I have an open rear axle. It kept the manners much better in that kind of weather with a locked rear axle.

Well if Bitcoin ever makes another 300% run after today's disaster I'll have the funds for one of those highfalutin rears ... LOL Right now all my remaining money is going into disinfectant wipes to clean the blood off my computer screen.