Thread: Timing Cover Gasket Question

Default Timing Cover Gasket Question

So I have the head off with the timing cover still in place, someone has been here before so I have no clear record of what is correct. In the gasket set I have(military)there is what appears to be a standard full timing cover gasket and a shorter, thicker card gasket that appears to be for the top of the timing cover. In gasket sets I see on line they picture both these gaskets in the kit. My engine did not have the card gasket between the end of the head and timing cover just the regular full gasket.

I have overlaid the two gaskets and you can see the card gasket does not line up on one side, also confirmed it does not match on the end of the head. It would be no problem to make it match if I had to.

So my question is do I just cut off the normal gasket and glue it to the timing cover or is that card gasket suppose to go between the head and timing cover ? The manual does not show that card gasket just the normal one.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

My experience with the Tornado has only been a total rebuild, so I don't have much advice to give when just replacing the head gasket.

I looked at the Direct Support Maintenance Manual at the top of the page, and I see a good photo Fig 3-50 "Cylinder head to timing cover seal installation" which shows the gasket and two rubber seals.
    Check it out.
    I would just cut the gasket and use a little RTV at the corner joints.

That was my thought as well just trim the full gasket and use sealer in the corners. I found that card gasket on the Best Gasket site #9231 and it is the civilian upper timing plate gasket, so I will just trim the full gasket to fit, thank you. It's interesting that these civilian gaskets were in the military kit, it has a factory label showing M715/M725, there are several other gaskets as well that are different, I'll post pictures of them tomorrow.
    Last edited by m38inmaine; January 17th, 2021 at 04:44 PM.