ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old February 21st, 2019, 01:23 PM
Private

plumas.placer.miner is a Soldier
Default My '68 M715 Build Progress Page

Okay, so I received my truck from Denver yesterday. I bought it sight-unseen, except for an inspection. I knew there were going to be some issues going into this...but oh brother!

I have decided to share my build process with the community, in the assumption that someone will benefit from it. This thread in Open Discussion is where I post general photos and general info. If I have specific or technical questions, I will post in the "modified tech" section, because my truck is already modified significantly.

For starters, it boasts a Chevy 250 inline 6 with a chevy transmission (I believe), but a stock transfer case. There is no PTO. I believe it was an Air Force truck from somebody's collection, so I observe differences between it and the Army and Marine Corps versions. I wish it had a PTO and winch, but since I am going to use the truck for my mining activities, I don't mind doing some mods. That's right...I am going to make this truck do the work it was designed to do...carry a payload.

The engine runs and the transmission and transfer case work fine. The truck drives great, so I am thinking the drive-train is in good shape. (That was important for me to purchase it). There is some blue smoke from the exhaust (rich? needs a tune, I'm sure). The frame is rusted but no holes...just surface rust. That said, the rust needs to be abated and the rivets strengthened before it goes to the claims for rugged special ops.

The engine appears to be leaking oil somewhere at the pan gasket, or the oil dip stick access tube... maybe. The transmission pan has quite a bit of fresh oil on it (I hope it isn't the rear main engine seal), the oil is near the the drain plug. The transfer case seems to have fresh gear oil coming from one (or more) of the front facing shaft seals. I need to get under there and clean up so I can tell what's going on. I am thinking new transfer case gaskets at the least...maybe a bearing kit too. $ouch$

The stock NDT tires are dry rotted (all 5 of them), so I bought new 900x16 tires (directional Power King Super Traction LT) and I need to teach myself about split rim tire mounting and balancing (yep, I know, "Danger Will Robinson") and I need to check out the brake system for sure. The inside front wheels are semi-wet with oil and grime, so I suspect the wheel cylinders need to be replaced or rebuilt. Uh..Yeah...stopping is important.

Priority 1: Wheels, tires and brakes.

Photos of the "starting state" of the Truck to be posted here within the next few days.

I feel like there's something wrong with me...I am completely obsessed with this project...I'd rather fix this truck than eat... or sleep...or go to work...

My wife thinks I am crazy...mining claims and now this?
Old February 21st, 2019, 01:45 PM
Private

Default Start Photos

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; February 21st, 2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old February 21st, 2019, 03:40 PM
New Recruit

66stepside is a Soldier

Whoa, that looks like a great start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 21st, 2019, 11:11 PM
Private

Now for the low down on the condition of this truck...um...it's rough.

The Chevy 250 inline 6:

The transmission is a T98-1Z. The shift linkage has been modified where bell housing meets transmission:

The transfer case. Years of caked on grease and dirt. I cleaned it off tonight and then I will drive it around the block a few times this weekend to see if there are leaks at the seals or bearings:

Engine oil pan gasket leak (I think). There also appears to be oil leaking from the head gasket. (Geeze, I hope not). The threaded oil pan drain plug looks like it has a HeliCoil in it. Maybe that's what's leaking?

Does anyone know what this item is (img below)? It was in the long bed-width storage area (for a jack and other tools I suppose) just behind the cab:

One last question: How can I tell what sub model of transfer case I have? NP200, 201, 205...etc?

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; February 25th, 2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 07:42 AM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier

That is not too rough. Better than 95% of the M715s out there! I don’t know about the transfer case verification but it looks original and so does the T98. So I would say it has to be a NP200.

Last edited by jhartings; February 24th, 2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 09:03 AM
Staff Sergeant

Don Cavey is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
Okay, so I received my truck from Denver yesterday...

For starters, it boasts a Chevy 250 inline 6 with a chevy transmission (I believe), but a stock transfer case. ...

My wife thinks I am crazy...mining claims and now this?
Very nice start. It appears that you have the original transmission and transfer case so that is a good start. Also, Chevrolet inline 6-cylinder engines are usually pretty reliable. Blue smoke is usually engine oil. It could be valve seals or rings. but for starters, oil is not all that expensive for now.
Old February 24th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Corporal

Nailhead is a Soldier

NP 200 case in the stock OD.

Is that six the one they called the Babbitt Beater?
Old February 24th, 2019, 06:34 PM
Private

Default Tires and Rims

In keeping with my plan, I set put to change the tires on the Jeep. Wow.

First, we couldn't break the bead. The tire has been on that rim for some long it must have melted or fused to the rim. We tried everything, including a high Lift jack...nothing worked. That's when we broke out the sawz-all and the hand held grinder. I ruined the tube and the liners on two wheels. I wanted to keep them as spares. Next time we are going to try my 20 ton press. Those rings just will not come off until the bead is broken and pushed down about 2".

[/URL]

Then, the rings were absolutely rusted to the rims. WD-40, multiple pry bars and some serious gumption finally got the rings off. I had to grind the rims with a 41/2" grinding wheel, then I had to wire-brush the rest of the rust off. I bought some rust treatment, and used that, then Preps-all (Dupont solvent) to prep for paint, then I put on two coats of galvanizing rust inhibitor paint, and then 2 coats of flat black. Then we put it back together. One tire per weekend... it can only get easier and faster from here!

Finally, the new tire! (*whew)

Old February 24th, 2019, 06:36 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
NP 200 case in the stock OD.

Is that six the one they called the Babbitt Beater?
I don't know...What's a Babbitt and why was it beaten?
Old February 25th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Corporal

Nailhead is a Soldier

Babbitt is the metal bearing shells are made of, and I think the engine I was referring to was the one used in CCKW & 7107 army trucks, and probably many other vehicles of that time period.