Thread: drained batteries - help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default drained batteries - help

the previous owner set up the truck with dual 12V batteries connected in series. Something drained them to the point of not being able to start. Questions are: 1. can I jump start from a 12V car and should I? 2. can I charge the batteries one at a time with a12V charger?
    I have a 24V charger on order but want to start the truck sooner.
    these may seem like stupid questions but I'm new to 24V vehicles systems.

Usually trying to jump start a 24 volt system with your 12 volt car doesn't work because you are only hooked to one battery of the 24 volt system. Charging each battery separately with a battery charger will work fine, just takes a little longer. Just hook your charger up to each battery separately and you'll be fine.

There isn't any stupid questions here. So don't be afraid to ask

Yes, you can charge them one at a time.
    Not sure if its necessary, but I always disconnect the short lead tying the two batteries together before charging individually.
    Mine is wing nutted so that I can easily remove the jumper while I maintain the two batteries during the idle winter months.

Along similar lines, I have a leaky alternator, probably a bad diode. If I were to leave the batteries connected, I would be greeted with dead batteries. So, I disconnect the link between the two 12V batteries and only connect them when I want to drive the truck. One day, I will get off of my fat (yes!) arse and replace the alternator and see if that fixes the problem.

Default Battery draining...

I am not purposefully trying to sound patronizing here...but one thing I learned was to turn off the light switch on the dash. If you forget and leave it on (it's easy to do for new Mil Vehicle owners because it's a strange gizmo) the battery drains.

Or so I learnt. haha

As Don said, the most common cause of the drained batteries is a bad alternate diode. I will flatten the batteries overnight and in some cases if the battery is discharged totally will ruin the battery so it won't hold a charge.

I will disconnect the batteries when I am not using the truck to prevent the batteries from being drained.

Leaving the ignition switch on is another common problem but usually results in a dead coil instead of a dead battery.

Use military-style battery terminals they handle lots of current. and you only need a 9/16" wrench to remove the cable from the terminal. I used a wing-nut terminal on my deuce and a half because it was all I had handy at the time and it melted down.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    There isn't any stupid questions here. So don't be afraid to ask

Yes, you can charge them one at a time.
    Not sure if its necessary, but I always disconnect the short lead tying the two batteries together before charging individually.
    Mine is wing nutted so that I can easily remove the jumper while I maintain the two batteries during the idle winter months.

the previous owner's set up is the same as yours, except with Optima yellow tops.

I have done it on several of my jeeps. Use a high amp rated switch or it might melt down on you.

does a 24 volt 50 amp sound about right?