29 OCT 2013

OK- to help stop clogging up things around here. I'll use this as my restoration page for updates to my 1967 M715 Serial # 14690, affectionately know around here as "War Pig" (and "that other thing" to my girlfriend). I'll leave my other posts as stand and pick up from today on forth here.

History- Not much known about 14690. Purchased by me from John Calwell out of Waxahatchie, Texas for a good price. John is a great man. I've always wanted a 715 since I was a wee youngin' diddy bopping around Fort Dix, New Jersey. Well, I got one. This is one from the massive sales from Colorado a few years back as far as I can tell, bearing the markings of "Archuleta County Fire Control", Truck #149. It's painted puke fire yellow, directly over the original semi gloss OD Green.

Vision- Restore back to 1967 with "slight" minor modifications for dependability and above all, SAFETY.

Problems- Not many. I have a 1100 square foot heated garage, wide variety of tools, large refrigerator normally filled with beer, 24 years of US Navy Engineering experience and will power. The checkbook isn't as fat as I wish (who's is eh?) Biggest problem is no access to commercial sandblasting equipment and heavy duty compressors. Most work will have to be done using angle grinders and wire wheels and old fashioned elbow grease.

I'll try to date stamp all updates so others may get an idea of time frames to accomplish tasks.

I'm sure I'll have hundreds of questions along the pathway of restoration. These I'll try to post separately, so others seeking the same problems may find them easier with the problem solvers getting credit on this post and the others posts.

Bear with me and as up to now, thanks greatly so far for the info, resources, advice and parts offers. This is a wonderful group.

I look forward to posting many successes and great pictures to share.

Best wishes from Newport News, Virginia

Dave Zelinski, EMC (SW/AW/Craftmaster) USN, Ret.
(Ham Radio, General W4CPO)