Thread: Can I go 12v and still keep 24v Dist.

Default Can I go 12v and still keep 24v Dist.

Hello; I am new to your site, I just got my first M-715 {use to be a willys person} Well I have a new 12v harness,guages,lights,turn sig.,battery,converted starter,12v coil, GM alt., push botton start that I have collected for my cj3b. but I like to make the M safe, Do I need to change the 24v Dist. to a civvi 230 Dist. Thanks for help.and site. DEAN

I would think you would have to replace the distributer since the coil is built in, but maybe one of the others can confirm this.

First of all, WELCOME!!

Just as a point of reference, the combination of the coil and distributor in 1 housing is called an "ignitor"...so in the M715 one would have to replace the ignitor with something else. Also, the points dont care if the truck is 12 or 24 volts...the condensor is said to care and the coil DOES care.

You can do a few different things here:

1. Use a 12 volt coil in the stock housing with the stock distributor. Antelope Valley has a 12 volt coil for this use call them at: 1-800-521-8518 With this, you can get the 12 volt condensor at Napa: part number AL868

2. Get a step up converter that takes in 12 volts and puts out 24 volts. I would guess 5 amps would we PLENTY since I have a 24 volt truck and a 12 volt ignition and I am running a 5 amp fuse with no problem.

3. Try to find a civilian distibutor with a working vacuum advance and install that with a 12 volt coil and go. This will give some increase im MPG and in power...figure 2 MPG roughly...thats what mine did for me.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Folks, I think the #3 will be my best opt. as soon as I figure out how to upload some pics I will. Wife looks at me and asks {Where are you?} now I can tell her I'm in the ZONE.
    Thanks Dean