Thread: power steering

Default power steering

hi just wondering if the powersteering from a j20 will fit on the m715
    thank again

Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

thanks very informative

i have a 74 j20 parts rig and im hoping i can take as much off as i can also have a 75 chief

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'd grab as much as possible. If not for your own use, for trading fodder down the road.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

not trying to hijack here,but wondering what everyone used to for a bracket to mount the pump to the 230engine. Alignment issues? Which vehicles had hydroboost pumps? thanks. Gonna do this myself in a week or so and thought i would go ahead and square myself away. snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

As far a brackets, you will have to fab up anything to mount a pump to the 230. Nothing out there that just bolts on.

Hydroboost was on the diesel GM trucks through the 80's as well as on Astro vans, some Ford 1 tons, and a variety of others. The pump is pretty much the same but the reservoir has an extra return fitting. You can just use a standard pump and a "T" in the return line. If you are running really big tires though, add a cooler, and use synthetic fluid, not ATF.

Using the upper alternator bracket as a starting point for one mount...mounting the pump above and outboard of the alternators centerline...seems to be the place to do it...though I did see one that was put in as follows:

Under the radiator, a plate is welded in and a remote type pump is installed so that the pulley faces the engine...basically this unit is rotated 180 degrees from the normal mounting direction...reverse. Then run to a remote reservoir and to the steering box...

Complicated but it worked.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Just to add 2 cents to this--check the steering box really well before you take it off and see if it appears its been leaking. If the truck has been sitting awhile or doesnt run this may be hard. Often when the box sits without being used they develop leaks in the seals.

Guess what I'm saying is I'd just go ahead and rebuild the thing before you put it in regardless of whether or not it appears to be leaking--cause they always freakin do lol--and then you'll just be pulling it back out--kit is pretty cheap insurance--heres two good write ups on the topic

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570869

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...ild/index.html

If the box is off in your hands, at least do as Tomahawk recommended and reseal it. Cheap insurance, and eliminates removing it twice. The seal kit can be had at NAPA for around $25 and comes with everything including the internal seals if you go that far.

Here is my write-up on the rebuilding of a J series box:

Power steering box rebuild