Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: porkchop : Positive wire getting hot and sparks.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default porkchop : Positive wire getting hot and sparks.

Positive wire getting hot and sparks.
    Post by porkchop on Oct 30, 2006, 8:11am

About a month ago I got my truck started for the frst time in a long time. This is with the new 292. Well it was doing great when I was working the foot switch. I then had my neighbor come over to help me start it again. He used his hand to push the starter switch, as soon as he did that sparks flew off the battery and the positive cable got so hot it melted . Now when ever I push the switch there are sparks and the positive cable gets so hot it smokes. None of the wires are touching metal. Did he fry the switch by pushing it with his hand? And if so how?

Default 40grit :

Re: Positive wire getting hot and sparks.
    Post by 40grit on Oct 30, 2006, 8:16am

loose connector? I don't see how using his hand versus foot would cause a problem, but sparking is a sign of loose connection and really hot wire is a sign of extreme loading, like a jammed starter...or a short to ground..

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Oct 30, 2006, 8:22am

I checked all the connections, they are tight. It is strange how there were no problems and then as soon as he used his hand to puch in the starter switch, it sparked and got hot. I thought he might have screwed it up pushing it at an angle or something. Me and electricity are not real good friends so everything to me is a guess.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Oct 30, 2006, 8:31am

hand or foot doesn't make a difference. Like mark said, must be a loose connection to get sparks. I have an extra foot switch. do you want me to send it to you to try?

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Oct 30, 2006, 8:37am

Thanks, but I also have an extra. I am just going to disconnect and then reconnect everything again. Clean all the grounds again and see what happens. Won't be able to work on it again until Wednesday or Thursday.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Oct 30, 2006, 9:40am

I would make sure there isnt a wire that is chaffed somewhere causing a short...

Are you using the 24 volt alternator yet? Check the small wire under the metal cover plate on the alternator to see if that is cut through....has happened before...

Otherwise....

On the starter switch, one side comes fom the batteries and has the charge wire from the alternator, the other side is the wire to the starter. If you disconnect the wire that comes from the alternator to charge the batteries, all that will be left is the atteries and the starter...

If you can crank then and NOT have the problem, the starter is ok...obviously, if it sparks, the problem is either the starter, the switch, or a bad wire...

If it isnt sparking, let me know and I'll go from there...

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Oct 30, 2006, 10:10am

Yep I am using the 24 volt alt. And I am using a civie starter. Like I said before. It was working great until he pushed the switch with his hand. I will try and look at it tonight and let you guys know what I see.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Oct 30, 2006, 10:26am

Much like the others have said, I dont see what difference pushing it by hand would make...in fact, when I am testitng stuff, I often push mine by hand and have never had a problem....

Another thought...is it all bolted together good and tight or is the starter switch a little loose on he plate? If its loose, then the different angle that a hand might push on the switch could maybe make it move enough that one of the wires on the bottom might just touch something metal...wild guess but a thought...

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Oct 30, 2006, 12:20pm

I don't think anybody has mentioned this, but it makes perfect sense:
    Check your grounds. With all those freshly painted parts, chances are you have a series of bad ground connection... Use star washers, and I would put extra ground straps all over...

1) Engine to frame
    2) cab to frame
    3) fenders to frame
    4) front clip to frame

Excerpt from:
    http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/electrical/gauges/
    ===========================
    Going to Ground

Are your headlights flickering? Do your gauges sometimes work and then not?
    Dave Mellow has some great tips about grounding and your Jeep's electrical system.

Remember that you are actually driving three separate Jeeps around: the FRAME; the ENGINE/TRANNY GROUP; and the BODY. The three groups are separated by insulating bushings, rust (lots of that), grease, and just plain looseness.

When your Jeep was new and rust free, the factory thought enough about grounds to have little cables here and there going from the battery to these component groups, but when you and cousin Leroy jerked the engine in '89, you broke the cables and they never got put back.

Do your Jeep a favor, and run dedicated cables to EACH COMPONENT GROUP.

Go from the battery to the starter housing bolt for the ENGINE/TRANNY group; from the battery (or the engine) to the FRAME GROUP; and from the battery (or the engine) to the BODY GROUP.

Work hard to get good clean spots; ground the tub and front end body material separately; be diligent about this, and you will be AMAZED at what a difference it will make (gee, the gas gauge started working'!), and maybe now that measly twelve volts can actually find it's way to the headlights!

Default dave :

Post by dave on Nov 1, 2006, 7:13am

good chance its a shorted switch, my 715 did that and the switch was shorting out internally. I replaced it and no more problem.