Thread: speedometer erratic operation under 30mph

the stock spedometer on my truck tends to jump up and down untill i reach about 30mph. i heard that this could be caused by a dry speedometer cable. if this is the case, how would one lubricate it other than spraying fliud down the ends? (i tried that and i dont think its getting the entire cable)

-Brian M

Default speedometer erratic operation under 30mph

Wow...theres a new one on me....
    All I can give you for info is that I had to change mine cause it broke, and the new one came with a grease in there....like a lithium grease it seems...dont have a clue how you would grease the thing...
    Sorry I cant help more....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

hmm, although its not a huge problem and it doesnt bug me that much the cable itself is not looking too good. i should probably replace it soon anyway. where did you get your cable and how much was it?

-Brian M

My cable was broken when I got the truck. I put in a new cable, but not a new case. It broke after driving about 10 feet. I then pulled the speedo out and took it apart. I cleaned and lubed everything inside with grease. Put it back together and put in a new cable. Worked great until I put in the Autometer stuff a year or so ago.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I just baught a generic replacement at NAPA. I think it cost around $12.00
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default Wheels, Axles, springs, what are they worth?

An instrument guy who calibrated my CJ speedo for a competition told me that vaseline was the best lube for a speedo cable. I have never tried it but it sounded good. Pull the cable and housing out. Spray a whole bunch of carb or brake cleaner through it. Blow some compressed air through to get rid of the cleaner. Lube the cable well with vaseline and feed it through. I think I would tend to try to find a large syringe like at a vet or something and pack it full of vaseline and inject it into the housing before the cable.... anyway...
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

sounds good. thanks.

-Brian M

I bought the cable from Surplus City I think...either there or Memphis....its been a while....anyway, if you have never taken the tcase end off, you are in for a treat...putting it back on is a pain.
    I remember someone posting about a CJ(?) cable that fit...check the parts list....
    Yepper...this was posted back a while:

a speedo cable from a '77 - '79 CJ-5 will work. I was in a pinch and used the one off my CJ-5. Order the longer cable.
    from Matt Rigsby 28 apr 01

Good luck,
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Not having much luck replacing just the cable in the past, I always replace both, by the time you replace the cable twice, you are about there anyway. We always used graphite powder for lube, right or wrong?? Glen
    Proud owner of two 1968 M0715 trucks....
    Maybe they own me....or soon will!