Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J-series wiper motors

My idea for those civ wiper arm indentations is using them to locate washer fluid sprayers. Not being able to wash the window while driving really annoys me. Sound like an idea? Any takers?
    The military solved that problem and put a kit in M151A2 M35s 5tons etc. It is a windshield washer kit. Comes with everything you need. Tank, tubing squirter and a hand pump. Its cool. Check with surplus places maybe saturn might have them. They go for $20-$30 bucks. I've installed them in many a truck and have enjoyed clean windows...
    Zone holster maker

I went to the junkyard and puled the civvie sprayers off, have to drill a hole on each side in the cowl plate, on the vertical surface under the hood. The screws to hold them are already there and they are adjustable, little bend, so you can aim them where you want....got the parts for $5 including the reservoir, pump, and hoses.
    I like it...no problems other than the reservoir in that truck was the bag type and it doesnt hold a ton...between a pint and a quart...would be easy to change to a different style, but since I cant even keep myself on the road right now, it can wait!!
    I think the later factory ones, late 70's and up, have the plastic reservoir not the bag already.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c
    I went to the junkyard and puled the civvie sprayers off, have to drill a hole on each side in the cowl plate, on the vertical surface under the hood. The screws to hold them are already there and they are adjustable, little bend, so you can aim them where you want....got the parts for $5 including the reservoir, pump, and hoses.
    I like it...no problems other than the reservoir in that truck was the bag type and it doesnt hold a ton...between a pint and a quart...would be easy to change to a different style, but since I cant even keep myself on the road right now, it can wait!!
    I think the later factory ones, late 70's and up, have the plastic reservoir not the bag already.
    brute4c
    You are correct sir! My '79s use a plastic tank mounted front of engine bay on driver side. Should be easy to move over.

Rich

Default Re: M-101 Trailers for sale

Quote Originally Posted by 65CJ5
    Best way to improve them while keeping them top-mounted is to use heavy duty marine wiper motors.
    Here's a link to the style most people use:

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...38&cat2=343437

tan
    Looks nice. Im far away from my m715. Does anybody know which wiper arms & blades are a good fit for this motors? There are some listed but without car nearby its hard to decide

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomelgato
    Looks nice. Im far away from my m715. Does anybody know which wiper arms & blades are a good fit for this motors? There are some listed but without car nearby its hard to decide

Tom
    Tom, on mine I have 12" blades and 10" arms. About the last 1" of the arms have a slight upward bend to them. I'm not sure what the sweep angle is set to as I have not had the motors open, but you can adjust that later if needed.

Stan

[quote="65CJ5"]
    Quote Originally Posted by tomelgato
    Tom, on mine I have 12" blades and 10" arms. About the last 1" of the arms have a slight upward bend to them. I'm not sure what the sweep angle is set to as I have not had the motors open, but you can adjust that later if needed.

Stan
    Thanks a lot steve!
    Something else: these motors are available with 3 different shaft lengths: 1 1/2, 2 1/2 & 3 1/2 inch, which should fit best?

Ahh, something else:
    If you have running the wipers for a while, how good does ist work (and how funny does it look) to have a system with 2 motors instead of the usual one motor/linkage/2 wiper systems like on a fsj. Imho they dont run on the same speed over long time.
    ...asking stupid because i never used my m715 wipers

I was also wondering if its possible to adopt a CJ style system, but i think theres not enough space for the linkage.

btw. i had this type of wiper motor (a bosch unit) on one of my cars where the linkage and shafts where so badly seized that at the end the wipers didnt move at all (i was wondering for about 1/2 a year why the wipers are sooo slow). The motor survived this without any damage!

Tom

Vacum wipers NEVER work together....one goes one speed and the other goes its own speed...Usually one fast and one slow (slow being the drivers side of course) But after a few mins you get use to it. So if your running two electrics and one is slightly faster than the other after a min or two you wont notice because your to busy trying to stay on the road with NDT tires and the drip from under the windshield that is droping on your right foot soaking your shoes has made you forget all about the wipers being at different speeds....lol
    Zone holster maker

Joe, my drivers side is faster than the pass and no drip.

> Something else: these motors are available with 3 different shaft
    > lengths: 1 1/2, 2 1/2 & 3 1/2 inch, which should fit best?

Tom,

Haven't had them off the M715 yet, but I think they are the 1.5" shafts. The early CJs use the 2.5" as I recall. If I get a chance I'll try to measure them and take some pics for you.

> Ahh, something else:
    > If you have running the wipers for a while, how good does ist work

They work great. Much better than vacuum.

> (and how funny does it look) to have a system with 2 motors instead
    > of the usual one motor/linkage/2 wiper systems like on a fsj. Imho they
    > dont run on the same speed over long time.
    > ...asking stupid because i never used my m715 wipers

I think they look cool running "unsychronized." They run that way on both the CJ5 and the M715. On my 65 CJ5 I'm using 2 motors controlled from a single switch. There are some issues when "parking" this type of 2-motor setup, see my website for details:

http://frontpage98.nmia.com/~kittyca...air_wipers.htm

On my M715 however, I have two 1-speed motors where each one has its own built-in on/off switch (that's another option when buying these motors), so you don't have the problem of parking 2 motors running off of 1 switch. The M715 setup most closely replicates the way the original vacs worked with each one being operated independantly. However, I like the single switch setup on my CJ a little better in terms of convenience and that system allowed me to add a delay-wiper setup as well.

> I was also wondering if its possible to adopt a CJ style system, but i
    > think theres not enough space for the linkage.

The CJ 1-motor system is bottom mounted. However, I think I saw a web page where someone had fabricated a top-mounted 1-motor setup with linkage on their bronco. Might do a web search on "bronco" and "wiper" and see what you find.

> btw. i had this type of wiper motor (a bosch unit) on one of my cars
    > where the linkage and shafts where so badly seized that at the end
    > the wipers didnt move at all (i was wondering for about 1/2 a year
    > why the wipers are sooo slow). The motor survived this without any
    > damage!

I'm a real fan of these better motors. You'd think being in New Mexico that I wouldn't need wipers. Usually I don't, but when it rains here it really rains and you need the wipers to work!

Stan

This is the reason why i bought another jeep. Im so used to dripping water inside the cab from my CJs, im getting nervous if everything is dry