Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back in the saddle with truck number two

Default Back in the saddle with truck number two

Well it has been about ten years since I sold my first truck. It is good to see many very familiar names still on this board. Hello to all.
    I have missed my truck and hanging out here quite a bit. Lots of life happened, moved a few times, acquired a few projects and got rid of a few. I always wanted another M715. Well there is one outside now. Many years ago it started out with Snowball. A 1968 M715 serial number 30945 delivery of 11/68. I purchased Snowball from Jacks gov't surplus and after he cleaned it up, fixed the brakes, and got it road ready, I flew down with a friend and drove it all the way home to Portland Oregon. I spent the next several years locating original parts and making a beautiful stock well equipped truck. I sold it to a Seattle guy and he gave it to someone he knew who I believe is on this board. A year or so ago I spotted Snowball on craigslist about an hour from me where I currently live in an ad that was selling all the running gear for a modern drive train swap. What are the chances of that happening. I was really bummed. It goes to say that you absolutely cannot care what happens if you decide to part with something. Not everyone has the same vision. It was none of my business. I had fun with it and that's what counts.

Here is Snowball in FSJ magazine.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I saw a post on IFSJA about a Steel Soldiers free M715. I commented on the post and someone else posted a nice 68 for sale in California. I talked with them once and due to some major miscommunications lost access to the truck and it ended up on Ebay.
    I was now pretty focused on obtaining another M715. I mentioned all this to Fisherman and he suggested contacting Saxon in the Seattle area. Another member on this board. Fisherman also knew another board member up north of Seattle that had what I might be looking for. I got a few pictures and started chomping at the bit. Overfiend had what I was looking for. And the price was in my ballpark. I dug the trailer out of the ice and snow and headed west. I stayed at Fishermans home for two days (thanks Todd) while getting the truck. It was a hoot and a great weekend. I want to do a modified build this time. Same as Fisherman did with his. A buick 350, modified T-98, divorced 202 or 205 and 8 lug axles. Overfiend sold me a dodge dana 70 for a great price and in the back it went. I am still looking for a 35 spline front dana 60 and transfer case. I am going to detune the truck's lift and tires. I may go spring under not sure. I am thinking somewhere around 38's also not sure. So after overfiend removed his big block we loaded the truck up. It was a wet day.

Those tires are pretty big. The Dodgemahaul pulled it all home with authority and a little black smoke. This truck was made one month later with a serial number of 33479 and a delivery date of 12/68. This truck was made 2534 builds later from Snowball at 30945.

And here we are. Left to right, Overfiend, Fisherman, and myself Kaiserjeeps

Pretty cool. Many thanks to Overfiend for the great deal, the humor and all the help.
    A week before getting the truck. I found a rare find. I drove 882 miles in one day into central Montana to Bozeman for these. A J truck T-18, a M715 T-98 and the rare two year bellhousing for putting a stick behind a Buick 350.

Fisherman had the equally rare flywheel for me. What a deal. Thank you Todd for the visit, the food, all the parts you gave me. All of it coming together so well.

I will post a build thread in the modified forum probably later this summer. I need to find a modern front axle and transfer case. Saxon in Seattle just might have a IH NP202 for me. Bigger than a NP205 and exactly what Fisherman did to his truck.

I am looking forward to the build. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; March 12th, 2020 at 02:08 PM.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Great to see you back, Al!!!
    -- Tim Taylor

Welcome back Al, great to see you getting another M715 again.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Al it seems you are too short to get in that truck. Where is the portable ladder going to ride?

Feel back at home yet?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Sweet. I'm down in Post Falls if you need any help. There is a member in Spokane building a m715, another one in Helena and one in Missoula. I'm thinking we're going to need a M715 trail ride weekend the end of summer or next year.

We knew you would be back

Great to have you back!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Al it seems you are too short to get in that truck. Where is the portable ladder going to ride?

Feel back at home yet?
    Heck yes! Since I don't know how to do multiple quotes on one message, this will have to do.
    Well Tim I am working on a telescoping swing up rocker ladder that has an illuminated LED hand rail, heated steps, and WIFI. I just got the truck so give me 10-12 years to perfect that.

Glenn we will have to get together and say hello. Cody the FC nut is in Post Falls. Do you know him? And I bet the Spokane guy you mention is Adam? or 66stepsides. It is a small world and us Jeep guys stick together.
    I would like to meet the Montana guys. I just drove through there and back for the transmissions.

Gonz! Beast! Mikel! Barrman! Binford! And everybody else! This just great. I never stopped thinking about this place. I have told the story many times of flying back from the Kentucky FE stinking from to much alcohol, no shower (because they locked the bathrooms after the lightning knocked the power out) and finding that I was covered in ticks when I got home. THAT was good memories! Well I have been totally sober 12 years now. I see a lot of new members, That's great. I had a good hello to Jon right before he hit the road on a trucking job he need to go do.

I really enjoyed the old truck. But this one I wanted to do something different. There is no way I could have kept snowball clean here. I live 7 miles up a very dirty road that is either muddy as heck or super dusty.
    So my wife Liz and I moved here and we found that there are hundreds of miles of little gravel forest roads right near the house. 2 fire look outs to go see and 6 loops that start and finish right here. While we do a lot in my cJ-5, I wanted a M715 again to go explore all day and have a good time with an open feeling. And be able to cut firewood. When it is 105 at home the ridge tops are 80 and have a nice breeze. About two years ago I started wanting another truck. Now look what happened....

I also see that the zone is alive and well. Looking at all the people browsing each forum is really something. I also trust that all of you guys are well including your families. I am glad to hear from each and every one of you.

I am a slow builder now. The last restoration was for my best bud I have known since 6th grade. It is a 70 wagoneer. I finished it last October and delivered it to Seattle for him. It took me ten years. I am pretty confident it is the nicest wagoneer on the west coast. It was all I did every day. I replated bolts, heat imprinted door panels, sewed headliners. My life's biggest accomplishment I guess. I'm hoping the M truck goes faster than that. I won't be so picky...

And guess what?..... I STILL hate fram filters

So great to be back. It makes me smile.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; April 8th, 2020 at 10:05 PM.

Don't know Cody the FC guy but I do know there seems to be FCs thst come up for sale in Post Falls quite often, at least it seems often for FCs. I owned 2 FC170s years ago, it was fun to drive.
    66stepside is the member in Spokane I know of that is putting his M715 body on a Chevy sqaurebody frame.
    Where are you in N ID? Do you need a grill guard for your new project? I have some extras, built by someone who fed you in your M715 recovery mission.

Speaking of that trip back in 2004. I told Jennifer you were back and all good. "You know, the guy who walked down the boat ramp with us so we could bathe?" We had another good laugh at that.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw