Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer Tool Strap Method

I have found that Krylon makes an OD Camouflage color paint in a spray can that is close in appearance. It looks a lot like weathered (oxidized) original finish. It is available at Wal Mart and Ace Hardware. Usually about $4 a can. I have used it as the base coat so that I don't have to use as much of the GILLESPIE 24087 on small items. I am not suggesting painting the truck with the Krylon, but if you have a small project, it can be a good base over the primer. Painting the pioneer tool comes to mind...

I was able to scan a slide and this is how my pioneer tools in Germany were strapped. It seems to match the much better pictures that Scott posted on the first page. Thanks again Scott for taking the time to post the pictures.

Notice too that the tailgate chain covers were rubber. I recently obtained some NOS rubber covers that a vendor was selling on the auction site. So I will be replacing the canvas ones that I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Notice too that the tailgate chain covers were rubber. I recently obtained some NOS rubber covers that a vendor was selling on the auction site.
    If you've received the new covers, what kind of shape are the 40+ year old rubbers? If you find that they rot out quickly once exposed to outdoor stresses, a cut bicycle tire tube works well and looks similar.

Quote Originally Posted by MarknessMonster View Post
    If you've received the new covers, what kind of shape are the 40+ year old rubbers? If you find that they rot out quickly once exposed to outdoor stresses, a cut bicycle tire tube works well and looks similar.
    They were still sealed in a thick polyethylene plastic bag. They are like new. I also got a second set. They are just about the correct size to put on the 4WD/Low Range levers. That is what I plan to do.

I would guess that these 40+ year old rubbers are OK. Now, there are other rubbers that may not cut it

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    I was able to scan a slide and this is how my pioneer tools in Germany were strapped. It seems to match the much better pictures that Scott posted on the first page. Thanks again Scott for taking the time to post the pictures.

Notice too that the tailgate chain covers were rubber. I recently obtained some NOS rubber covers that a vendor was selling on the auction site. So I will be replacing the canvas ones that I have now.

Hey Don, is that a part number stenciled on the axe handle?
    And did you put the yellow bands on the handles?

Oh, I see that it may be your unit number stenciled on.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Oh, I see that it may be your unit number stenciled on.
    Yep, my truck number, SVC-175. I will be painting my truck with the same VIN and identification number. There will be a little discontinuity though since my truck is titled a 1969 and the ID number will be 03J27168; a 1968. Oh well!

I have remnants of the original tailgate chain covers on my truck yet. I got some of those offered on ebay, they are thicker and not the same.

I am going to use shrink tubing for my truck. Available at your finer electronic parts sites or stores. It matches the thickness much better than the ones I got off ebay.

Notice in your photo how easily it flexes with the chains.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

I got the rubber ones from a vendor on eBay. I think they came originally from VPW but I am not sure. I also have the canvas ones but I believe that they should be period correct on the 3/4 ton truck; not sure. On a side note, the rubber chain covers are a good replacement for the rubber handles on the 4WD/Low shifter levers. That is what I intend to do...

nice pics,ive been wondering how all those tools strap in correctly
    1967 M715 WO/W
    m38a1 1953
    m101a1 trailer