Thread: awest : AMC 360 Swap

Default awest : AMC 360 Swap

AMC 360 Swap
    Post by awest on Aug 10, 2006, 2:34pm

I will be swaping an AMC 360/tf727,d300 in place of the old 230. Has anyone put in a 360 in place and if so what were some of the problems that you encountered.

Default compexp :

Re: AMC 360 Swap
    Post by compexp on Aug 10, 2006, 3:27pm

from what I understand the motor mounts should work, or be pretty close. I would think the hardest things would be fabbing the tranny/xfer case mount and driveshaft clearance.

additionally, then you have the shifter mechanism to mod as well.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 10, 2006, 4:28pm

You may need to move frame horns around. If you get the ones off the donor you can reuse them, as well as take pictures of their exact location. I know on the FSJ's you need to move the frame horns either forward or back to go to a V8... Otherwise, you can mostly use factory parts to get things installed. Driveshaft clearance shouldn't be an issue.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Aug 10, 2006, 5:06pm

I put a 360 in a 67 wag I had. It had the same frame mounts that the M715 has. I had to get the frame mounts from the donar truck and then move them forward to get them to fit. I will have to look for the pictures.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Aug 10, 2006, 7:06pm

Snag the radiator and support from the donor along with.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Aug 10, 2006, 7:29pm

I kept the original 25" 67 radiator and never had a cooling problem and I lived in Yuma, AZ. But it's not a bad idea to upgrade.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Aug 10, 2006, 9:25pm

I am using a buick 350 from a 69 J-3000. I torched off the factory mounts from the 230 engine. They were also attatched with studs through the frame. The buick 350 mounts ended up using almost the exact same holes I left when I torched out the rivets. I think I had to drill one hole per side. I was amazed at how everything has almost bolted right up. Not much fabbing here. I'm sure I will be doing some fab work soon as I will be re doing the transfer case mounts and adding an NP202. Good Luck Fisherman

Default awest :

Post by awest on Aug 11, 2006, 8:28am

Awsome. Thanks for the info guys. I should start the breaking down process here in about a week or so.

Default fsjguy :

Post by fsjguy on Aug 11, 2006, 10:53pm

When Alan did the 360 swap on the truck I now have, he told me that the CIVILIAN 360 motor mounts matched right up to the shock towers. IIRC, the same bolt(s) hold both assemblies to the frame. They look the same as my FSJ. RE the tranny/t-case mount, Alan just welded a stock crossmember (for the tranny/t-case that he was using) to two flat plates that were drilled to bolt up to the stock flanges on the frame of the truck. It's quite clean looking, and I can easily remove the crossmember to replace the tranny. (Yes, I've done it.)

(Edited because y'all thought it looked funny)