ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old February 2nd, 2021, 07:53 AM
Sergeant

Beast is a Soldier

On mine both bows are the same and both seam to be the same height on the vehicle. They are both taller than the windshield but appear to be the same.

My top from WeeBee Webbing that I got in 2005 is still very tight when it's on, and requires quite the pulling to get it snapped, but is super tight and doesn't flap at all when driving and yes like Al's I can bounce a quarter off mine.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:58 AM
Sergeant

Kaiserjeeps is a Soldier

Thank you Dave. It looks exactly like what I saw when his top was fitted. I made it tight in thinking that a hot summer day would make it expand some. He has several measurements to check against my top assembly. I hope it is obvious and I hope the solution is able to be found. This was pretty upsetting to me. Thank you for posting your pictures. A fine truck as always.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 01:07 PM
Sergeant

Beast is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
Thank you Dave. It looks exactly like what I saw when his top was fitted. I made it tight in thinking that a hot summer day would make it expand some. He has several measurements to check against my top assembly. I hope it is obvious and I hope the solution is able to be found. This was pretty upsetting to me. Thank you for posting your pictures. A fine truck as always.
Looking at Eightydeuce's, it looks like his bows are short which would explain why it's so loose on his truck. This old thread has the info and measurements for the top bows. Soft top bows

Compare how short his look compared to mine.

Last edited by Beast; February 3rd, 2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 03:03 PM
Corporal

teking is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Looking at 88's, it looks like his bows are short which would explain why it's so loose on his truck. This old thread has the info and measurements for the top bows. Soft top bows

Compare how short his look compared to mine.

I agree 100% his are definitely shortened. I'm very tuned to this because I am looking into shortening mine to be ... well like his!!!! Yes absolutely they are shorter than stock. No doubt.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 04:18 PM
Private

eightydeuce is a Soldier

Well you are certainly correct. After getting a bunch of measurements from KaiserJeeps. I quickly realized that my bows have been chopped. I used some hose clamps around the posts (this is temporary of course) lifted the bows and VOILA!!!much much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 2nd, 2021, 09:33 PM
Sergeant

Kaiserjeeps is a Soldier

Well no wonder. Thanks for the calls today. This is a huge relief. I believe you have prototyped the very first adjustable top. Simply adjust for winter shrinkage and summer expansion. Never a flap in the wind.

Now the side panels should cover the top of the cab tub. As you mentioned, they were high. Get everything to the right height, then give the sides a tug down and snap it. If it rides up and just is not right, I will make the next side panels even lower. I know a guy with a sewing machine.
Old February 24th, 2021, 02:41 PM
Private

eightydeuce is a Soldier

So after taking some actual measurements of my bows, the back bow was chopped about .875" and the front one was shortened by about 1.25. My bows are now en route west to a master metal worker who is pretty good with a sewing machine too.
Old February 24th, 2021, 07:50 PM
Sergeant

Kaiserjeeps is a Soldier

Heh heh heh... I know that guy.... So for the last several days I have gone out to the small second shop where I sew. It is a carport bay closed in and insulated. Small but very functional. So I have had a medium sized wood pecker in there for several days in a row. I open the man door and there are parts all over the floor. Bird poop too. Little bugger. He freaks out, knocks more parts of shelves as he flies back and forth, and I have to open the big garage door till he flies out. This also lets in the coldest air ever. I finally figured out that hip hop music blaring super loud 24 hours a day keeps him out. The problem is it keeps me out also.