Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used to have a straight bed...

Default Used to have a straight bed...

Went out the other weekend up to the rim country (in AZ) to camp and 4x4 with some buddies for the weekend. (30 miles east of Payson, AZ) First trip with the jeep, only went out wheeling for a few hours 2 weeks prior to work out more bugs in this 4 year project which is finally paying off with some fun.

In the 2 weeks I fabbed up mounts and mounted one of those summit radiators, replaced a power steering pump, replaced some melted wires, and replaced the carb gasket again... plus a whole slew of other little stuff.

First night got hung up on a stump in the dark, tire slid off. Looks like the diff is burried in it but is actually just kissing it the spring plate took the brunt of the abuse. Don't get me wrong the bottom of the diff is pushing wood but its cast iron and the cover never touched the stump.

Next day we did about 20 miles of trails then I decided to test it a little more. Climbed this hill pretty good til tring to hop over a down tree and the carb choked and died. (Lots of carb issues plus the 6K foot elevation wasn't helping either) Slammed on the brakes, which are pretty marginal esp. when the motor aint running, dumped the clutch and slid backwards into this tree. It was funny at first cause it was a great resting place, didn't seem to damage the jeep.

Fired the jeep up a few min later, running like crap full bore at the log again. Same thing happened but we slid backwards faster and he damage can be seen below. I wasn't too impressed and would really like to attempt to fix if or make it look better any ideas?

(Pics are in next post, too big)

Just thought I'd show some carnage... also lost all of my exhaust and smashed part of one of the down pipes when the front end came off the ground. Yes it flew a little bit.

And yes I've got my work cut out for me for the next few weeks again...

-Scott

Taco'ed bed pictures:

Ah to be young and stupid......
    Zone holster maker

Maybe it's just me but I cringe whenever I see pictures like that.

In the words of a Redneck,
    Hold my beer and WATCH this!
    Sorry to here about the damage.
    A locker helps IMHO
    as far as the carb you might want to adjust it at such altitudes
    Redneck1
    Tree, WHAT Tree officer?

I wouldn't mind seeing damage like that on my jeep because in order to do that it would mean that it could move. That would be an improvement!
    67 M725

I got my truck to off road too. Everyone asks why I don't fix the dent Shelley put in the roof. I tell'em it'll just be back sooner or later. If I were to put too much work into it, it would be a trailer queen.

So Shelley was the one who put the dent in it, eh?! You didn't tell that part of the story at the FE....

So am I still the bacon guy to her?
    -- Tim Taylor

Hell I wish my bed and tailgate looked that good when I got them. Torch, dollys and hydro.Matching paint now thats a problem

Finally pryed the trailgate down this is gona have to take some serious time and work to become functional again so I'm back working on the steering and carb rather.

And yes I have a Detroit in the rear, it just slid pretty good...tires were kinda high psi also.