Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nuts and bolts

Default nuts and bolts

I am getting ready to make an order to Bolt Depot.

I am going to be ordering by the 100 count.

What size nuts and washers am I going to need?

Where am I going to need bolts (and what size?)

Zach

All of them. All sizes, both standard and metric.
    You'll use them eventually

I did that about a year ago. Bought from our local industrial supply house. Was just as cheap as ordering online, when you factor in shipping.

I started at 1/4" and for the smaller stuff, got 50 or 100 of each. Like 1/4", got 3/4", 1", 1.25", 1.5", 2", 2.5". Same for 5/16. In 3/8" I started at 1.5" and went up to 3" in halfs. Got a few 7/16's, not many, and half inch diameter I started at 2" and went up to 3.5" in halfs. Smaller diameter stuff I got more pieces, larger, not so many. I bought as many flat washers, lock washer, and nuts as I did bolts in each diameter.

All of this was in grade 5. I mixed and matched and got a few select sizes in grade 8.

Buy as much/many as you can afford. You'll use them all eventually. It's nice being able to do a project and not have to drive all the way across town to buy 2 bolts.
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

What nut sizes and thread pitches should I get?

zach

And how often am I going to encounter studs instead of bolts?

What exactly are your goals? Are you asking for "every bolt I need to rebuild a 715" or "bolts I should have in my parts bin for whatever project I am working on"???
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

The M715 uses a lot of fine thread bolts.

Just get a selection of nuts/bolts. I get mine from the local Tractor Supply. They sell by the pound depending on the grade. Whenever I am there I fill up a bag with nuts/bolts/washers. Grade 8 and a few grade 5.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    The M715 uses a lot of fine thread bolts.

Just get a selection of nuts/bolts. I get mine from the local Tractor Supply. They sell by the pound depending on the grade. Whenever I am there I fill up a bag with nuts/bolts/washers. Grade 8 and a few grade 5.
    This. This is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser715
    What exactly are your goals? Are you asking for "every bolt I need to rebuild a 715" or "bolts I should have in my parts bin for whatever project I am working on"???
    Given what I have seen thus far, every nut is rusted to every bolt or stud. Even when I don't shear the bolt on removal, the nut is a mess once it is off.

And, new hardware makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Zach

Default I have a list

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    What size nuts and washers am I going to need?

Where am I going to need bolts (and what size?)

Zach
    When I took my truck apart, I made a computerized list of the bolts when I took them off so I would know what to buy and where they went when I put it back together. In the list is size, length, thread, and whether or not it had washers or lock washers or both. Also, if it was nutted or threaded into a hole like some of the bumper bolts. Quantities are there too.

I will gladly share this list with anyone who wants it. It does not include every bolt as some things I did not take apart. It is in an excel spreadsheet but can be exported.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

1/4"-28, 5/16"-24, and 3/8"-24 are the most common sizes you'll run into on the M715 and many MV's. All fine thread.

Of course after having been around a while you will probably find a grab bag of hardware on it when you do a teardown.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™