Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jeepkaiser715 : New Member

Default jeepkaiser715 : New Member

Post by jeepkaiser715 on Aug 31, 2006, 1:28am

Hello All! My name is Scott i'm from Hanson Massachusetts. I am wrapping up a year and a half long deployment to the middleast for the Mass Army National Guard. I have a 67 715 w/ winch patiently waiting for me to come home. its all stock except for the tires... currently sits on civilian hummer tires with military rims. I can't wait to get home and put in an OX locker for the front and maybe a detroit for the rear? with boggers or TSLs for new rubber. any suggestions would be great! I very much look forward to meeting some of you at the future FE's. Just need to get a bigger pickup and trailer to haul the 715 around. I love your site and it is very helpful!
    Thank You
    Scott

Default bluesman2a :

Re: New Member
    Post by bluesman2a on Aug 31, 2006, 3:33am

Quote:
    I can't wait to get home and put in an OX locker for the front and maybe a detroit for the rear?

I'll second it. Welcome, and thank you for serving.

As for looking for an OX for the front: I'd recommend another detroit up there. I think detroits get a bad rap for driveability, and they are dirt simple/bulletproof. Not so with a selectable locker. Also unless they have gotten better in recent history, OX has had some serious quality and customer service issues over the years.

Just food for thought. Stay safe, and send pics of your truck when you get home!

Default boghog :

Post by boghog on Aug 31, 2006, 6:53am

Welcome aboard jeepkaiser715! I also thank you for serving for WE THE PEOPLE of this country! I Will be looking forward to seeing the pics also. I know that the locker in the front of a cj-5 sucks in turns, and all the time in the ice and snow. My modified m715 has a Det. locker in the rear, but for now I will keep the front open till I can save the money up for an electric locker. I will be driving the truck in the winter, and from my experience with front and rear lockers, I would like selectable front and rear, but since the rear is in already, I will stay with it, but the front if one gets installed will definatly be a selectable. I also hope that I will make the next F.E. so that I can put faces to the names. Good luck with your truck!
    Dennis aka, boghog

Default thetroublemaster :

Post by thetroublemaster on Aug 31, 2006, 8:32am

Welcome Scott, I run an ox in the rear D44 of my CJ. They are not weak at all as the internals are bigger than stock. Sure I had some installation issues because of a very early axle housing, but now that it's set up it has worked flawlessly. They are not weak at all.

Al..

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 31, 2006, 9:28am

ANY locker up front should be installed along with lockout hubs. Your tires will thank you.

Default jeepkaiser715 :

Post by jeepkaiser715 on Sept 1, 2006, 10:15am

tacomainUT do you know where i can find lockout hubs for the 715? i am still learning all the ins and outs of the truck and where to find parts and such along with general mechanics. so what would be the reason behind lockout hubs?? is it just to save me from getting out and locking them everytime? And thank you all for your support!!

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Sept 1, 2006, 10:39am

They're out there.... I know Snake RIver in.. Idaho? had them... it's been rumored that you can get them through AutoZone.. or used, keep an eye on the sale boards.

The reason for lockouts is so that, if you're running a front locker, you can uncouple the hubs from the axles, and not grind your tires into dust. Also reduces your turning radius some.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Sept 1, 2006, 10:47am

Even without a locker, it takes drag off the drivetrain, so a bit more power is used to move the truck forward instead of overcome resistance in the front driveline...thus increasing mileage a bit and eliminating some wear.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Sept 1, 2006, 10:55am

What everyone is neglecting to tell you is that you will be looking for "selectro" hubs. I don't know the part # though.

Default jed :

Post by jed on Sept 1, 2006, 11:09am

Mile Marker "Selectro" #11035-01 (S-35-1)