Thread: asbestosglove : 715 Body on 76 J10?

Default asbestosglove : 715 Body on 76 J10?

715 Body on 76 J10?
    Post by asbestosglove on Dec 3, 2006, 11:06pm

How much mod is needed to set a 715 cab & bed onto a J10?
    AG in NC

Default tacomainoh :

Re: 715 Body on 76 J10?
    Post by tacomainoh on Dec 3, 2006, 11:11pm

I wouldn't. Frame is weaker.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Dec 3, 2006, 11:32pm

SHOULD BOLT RIGHT ON ......

Default boghog :

Post by boghog on Dec 4, 2006, 9:20am

The frame is shaped the same, but it is missing the angle brackets both front and rear. The wheel base of the truck frames I am working with are different the J-10 had a wheel base I think 5" longer. This was not a problem for me because of relocating the new springs I was using. The J-10 frame will also need the front supports for the M-715 bed, the ones that support the small cargo box. The cab mounts differed on my two frames, nothing major just a small set back. I built up some new mounts and I was all set. I also attached a rear frame section from a M-715 I got from Barry, to the J series frame so I could have the pintle hitch set up. I have found that the second set of holes back from the cab line up, but mine had welded in nuts. The third set back from the cab needed to be measured out and drilled, they were not in my J series frame. The rear were good because I put the frame section on. I started with a set of new 4" lift springs these appeared to be just like the M-715 springs in height. I also set up for spring over, but after looking at this set up I found that it was too tall for my liking. I am now relocating the axles up inside the spring pack. My 38" TSLs will still work. If I find any thing else out I will let you know. Good luck

Default boghog :

Post by boghog on Dec 4, 2006, 9:26am

One more thing. The frame is weaker like Taco said. While it looks to be the same thickness on the frame rails, I did not measure it. It is missing the angle braces both front and rear, which will make the frame weaker.
    I just remembered also, the front springs on my J-series frame had a more narrow stance than th M-715, They were set up to fit the more common width for axle swaps.
    I have not checked the front end other than just glancing at it, it looks like no problem. Now, I know, saying that will jinx me! lol.