Thread: robo : nv4500 and gears ?

Default robo : nv4500 and gears ?

nv4500 and gears ?
    Post by robo on Oct 9, 2006, 7:34am

I know a guy and can buy a chevy 4500 complete w/bellhousing, clutch, and hyd release setup for $750. It has low miles and I believe a low 1st gear. I'm currently running a chevy 350 with adapter to stock tranny.

Question is, should I jump at the price for the 4500 in favor of better tranny with overdrive? The clutch release is on the passenger side with those trans, so how much work to make that setup work (aside from moving engine forward b/c of it's length)? Everything I've read and heard says these are one if not the best trans around.

Also, how difficult is it to swap gears and set the pinion depth so teeth engage properly? I've never changed gears before, and iof I decide against the 4500, I'll switch over to 4.56s.
    Thanks.

Default bluesman2a :

Re: nv4500 and gears ?
    Post by bluesman2a on Oct 9, 2006, 8:36am

All the NV4500's I've seen have the clutch release on the DRIVER's side. Now granted those were already swapped into Jeeps, but a call to Advance adapters and a bell-housing should solve that problem in short order in the worst case. The price isn't bad, but if it has the 6.34 1st gear, I would get it. If you can hear it run, the thing to be concerned about is 5th gear, in BIG trucks they had a problem of somesort with 5th.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Oct 9, 2006, 10:34am

robo,
    roughly $300 from Advanced adapters will get you a Alum bellhousing with the clutch set-up on the driver's side, might be a lot easier than the driveshaft interference.
    Lengthwise, it shouldn't be too much longer than your current set-up, you might be able to just shorten the jack shaft from The trans to XFr case and be ok.
    As for gearing, you should be ok with what you have, the 4500 will have a lower first gear and overdrive, so it should help on both ends of the speed range. I'd drive it for a while, then decide if you want to regear the axles. Don't worry about 5th gear, that's a Dodge nv4500 problem, GM never had that problem, if it's a 93 or 94 it may have a syncro problem with noise in 3rd gear, but they are plenty of easy fixes for that out there.

Look around NV4500.com to get a bunch of good info

either way, it's worth more than $750, so I'd get it.

Default davea :

Post by davea on Oct 10, 2006, 9:21am

If driveshaft clearance isn't a problem, then there is nothing wrong with the pass. side slave. Just get a master cylinder that works best with your pedals and have a line fabbed.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Oct 10, 2006, 3:49pm

I have a 1993 Chevy 2wd NV4500 in my M715 right now. I took the bellhousing and entire clutch hydraulic system from the donor truck. The slave housing will hit the front drive shaft about 4 inches toward the t-case from the front u-joint. I shaved the housing down and lowered my bump stop for that side only about 1-1/2". I have the engine/transmission as far up in the frame as I can go without doing a body lift by the way.

It will work, but if you have a choice, get the AA drivers side clutch linkage and move on.