Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 6x6 update

Default 6x6 update

Hello,
    I finally got some time to piece together the rear suspension. It's all tacked together, in case I need to make changes.
    Mikel

looking good! i envy you your fab skills.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Thats some awesome work, very well done.

I kinda remember this from the old old Zone. Could you run through some quick specs for this project? Where it is now, what it will be when its done? Engine/trans/x-fer case, axles, approx load capacity, etc.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Good job!

Sorry I haven't read you other posts in the past (always admired the pictures of your work and ideas though), but what is going to locate the axles? Panhard bars or the spring packs?
    I would guess you are going to let the springs slip like the big rigs do, but they don't really look like they would have too much give for only one tire moving.

Either way, keep up the great work!

rpgdeity,
    The engine is a Cummins 6BT, with a dodge CTD NV4500 and a Ford NP205. Front axle is a Ford D60 and two rear M715 D70's, with the axle tubes reversed to offset the differentials to opposite sides. The middle axle will have a pillow block with two U-joints next to the differential, so two driveshafts will power the rearmost axle, coming from a dual rear output NP205.

Hammer,
    The upper links have a 30 degree angle. This should be enough to locate the axles sideways, but the leafs are going to be "caged" where they touch the axle (there will be wear plates too, they won't be resting on the axle tubes). This will capture the axles preventing excessive droop, and in case of control arm failure, it will keep things from falling apart.
    Mikel

looks like you are making some nice progress

That is very impressive, can't wait to see it finished. Makes my fab work look kinda puny, I was gonna post pics of my brakes and clutch stuff ubtill I saw this. hahahah

Hey Mikel, sup.

I'm very curious how those link ends are going to handle flex.... It seems to me that you have almost no provision for the axle to be at any angle whatsoever, Heims at one end of those links (and I'd do the axle end) would eliminate that problem. As it sits in the pics, that axle can only go up and down as a beam, not independently. Not enough flex in the bushing... although, you could "wrist" the links and you're golden.

And if there isn't enough triangulation on the links, you've got some room to move the frame ends out a little bit.

I dig this project! Maybe I'll come visit... I've got to go to Hartford as it stands I think...

carry on.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Hello Tacoma,
    I don't like heims or other non-bushing joints because they are not well suited for road applications, as the play starts getting annoying very soon. My truck is going to be no trailer queen (besides it will be too heavy to trailer ). I used XJ bushings because of their large thickness to witdh ratio. These will flex 13 degrees with very little deflection on the rubber. With two bushings per arm, that's 26+ angles of twist per arm, which is more than sufficient for my needs. This will outflex an stock M715 by several orders of magnitude. In vertical travel, this will out-travel just about any 4x4. Before someone starts telling me that they are not going to last, Dodge 3500's use the very same P/N bushing in their front ends. I have sacrified *some* flex for durability and decent road manners. From my point of view, this was a good trade off.
    Mikel