Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake balance

Default Brake balance

I swapped over to a 1976 Corvette master cylinder back in 2002 or so. I still had DOT 3 in the system then and that master cylinder rusted away by 2004. When I replaced it, I also swapped in the Ford van wheel cylinders. Good brakes followed.

That master cylinder rusted out in 2008 or so. When I swapped in a new one, I switched over to silicone. Then my Big Block 396 died in 2012. The truck didn't move under its own power for almost a year. When the 6.2 was working, the brakes weren't. I added Hydroboost and took the entire system apart cleaning or replacing everything.

Here we are yet again 4 years down the road and only my back brakes are working. The Michelin XZL tires really howl when the rears lock up by the way. We pulled the front wheel cylinders and they were good. Fluid is coming through the lines and squirts out when bled with the pedal. All air is gone and the shoes adjusted out to almost stopping the wheels from spinning.

But, the front tires don't stop when spun and the pedal pushed. I tend to over think things sometimes and have concluded that the rears are adjusted tight enough that they engage before the fronts have moved enough to engage. Thus stopping the fluid moving to the fronts.

With the rear locker, it is a pain to adjust the rears correctly since both sides spin. Theory wise, it should only be a click or two of each rear adjuster to get them equal to the front. I wanted to throw this out to the Zone before I line my students up to spin the tires while I lay under the rear axle turning the brake spoon. What am I missing?

Thanks.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

WHen you went to hydroboost... what master cylinder did you put in? (a disc/drum?).....Put a proportion valve in and be done.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Same disc/disc master as I had before. It has worked great until this summer that way.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

what about the flexible rubber brake lines up front? How old are they?

I was thinking about them too. I have those on the truck and another set as well. I suspect that both sets will have a 50th birthday in another 35 days.

The only source I am aware of for different ones is Memphis. What they have is just NOS, right? Same problem just pushed a little bit down the road.

I was looking into making a set of AN braided steel lines myself but can't figure out the legality of it. I think I got pretty good at making AN oil and fluid lines building the Cowdog. I know I can make some AN brake hoses. Race cars have home made brake hoses so how tough can it be?

I just haven't hit the correct search wording to find an answer yet.

Call up offroad design in colorado. I think they can make custom brake lines you just need to specify length and end fittings. They are what I used on my M1009's.

And I agree about the NOS brake lines. They are 50 years old. I wouldn't use on a daily driver.

I have the ORD lines on the Cowdog. I like them. Good idea about calling to have some built.

My 715 I plan on making my own brake lines out of -AN SST Braided PTFE hose and stainless fittings.

Otherwise utilize the existing one and buy one pre-made... Summit sells premade brake lengths in AN from 6 to 60" I believe.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Have you taken the drum off to watch the wheel cylinder move while you push the brake pedal?

Yes, it does move. I haven't pushed full throw though because I don't want to pop the pistons out.