Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rear brake issues

If I recall correctly the two rear lines going from the cylinders to the axle "T" are 1/4". Making the bends where they go around the end of the axle and into the cylinder is tricky. From the axle "T" up to the frame union should be a rubber flex line, then 3/16" up along the frame to the front "T". Some brake lines come with a short and long tube nut, it really doesn't matter which end they go on but I would use the short nut on the wheel cylinder just for clearance. If you are not that excited about making your own brake lines there is a company that makes a stainless set for the M715, just google M715 brake line set.
    Last edited by m38inmaine; June 3rd, 2021 at 04:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    If I recall correctly the two rear lines going from the cylinders to the axle "T" are 1/4". Making the bends where they go around the end of the axle and into the cylinder is tricky. From the axle "T" up to the frame union should be a rubber flex line, then 3/16" up along the frame to the front "T". Some brake lines come with a short and long tube nut, it really doesn't matter which end they go on but I would use the short nut on the wheel cylinder just for clearance. If you are not that excited about making your own brake lines there is a company that makes a stainless set for the M715, just google M715 brake line set.
    I have a set of those lines. Very nice and well fit.

well, that's the rub. the line that is leaking, or the fitting I should say, is otherwise in great shape. But with the buggered up fitting I either have to cut and replace the fitting or splice to lengthen enough to redo the fitting and add enough line to reach. I would like to salvage the good line rather than purchase an NOS new one. I was just thinking of making up an entirely new stainless line instead. decisions, decisions.

I have 1/4" unions ready in case I have to cut and lengthen the existing line. Still waiting of flaring tool and CNF 1/4" line.

I have the line, flaring tool, and am waiting on a tubing straightener to make it all look pretty

alrighty. I finally replaced the rear brake line and after a few missteps got it installed. had a couple of leaks but fixed those by tightening. now I am purging the fluid for air bubbles but it seems to be an endless task. started with the furtherest brake and pumped out tons of fluid and air, maybe a little water too. so far I have gone through perhaps a pint of fluid.
    UPDAtE - I broke my toe (motorcycle) and can't get under the truck with my boot so things are in pause right now. it will be a couple of weeks before I can get back to it so, stay tuned.

Finally, after months of delays, the brakes on my truck are finished. the wife had to drive test run as my foot is still in a brace boot. Truck ran great, with plenty of smoke, and stopped when needed. hurray!

Good job.

So I'm going to take my truck to the Bonnie Eagle car show on August 8th. Hoping to meet other military vehicle owners.