Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Another 4bt build

Default Another 4bt build

Hey all, I've been lurking for a bit and collecting parts. Now I've got some time so it seems like as good a time as any to post up about my new project.

This weekend I picked up a 67 m-715 from a board-member in CT and in about 4 weeks once I am done with this semester I will start tearing into it.

The plans are as follows listed by part;

Dana 70 rear w/discs 4.10 35 spline open carrier for now, came from an 05 chevy van. Got a good deal on it a month or so ago and have been rebuilding it, almost ready to be dropped in.

63 inch chev 1/2 ton rear leaf springs, will be mounting under the frame and running them under the axle most likely to achieve proper ride height, airbags if I ever start towing a lot, but I want this ole girl to flex. Already bought these from a scrap yard about two months ago.

Dana 60 front axle, from a Ford, high pinion, 4.10, discs, king-pin axle. Picked one up this past weekend, needs to be rebuilt still.

Will be running a high steer kit and running this on the stock leaf springs until I see how they handle the weight of the cummins. Most likely spring under to get some lift. Spring perches are already the correct width so this is just a bolt on deal, once it's rebuilt.

NP205 divorced t-case, got one from a ford (driver side drop), tore it apart and replaced all bearings/seals/painted and cleaned up, set it up for twin sticks while I was in there.

Cummins 4bt w/hx35 turbo backed by a Ford ZF5 2wd transmission. Picking this up this week so more pictures/info then but it will be turned up a little bit for now.

Plans for wheels/tires include ordering up some Michelin XZL 11.000R16s, need to call tomorow and get those on their way. Will be mounting on some black steel wheels or maybe painting wheels to match truck, donno.

Appearance of the truck will be stock body, no mods there, need to find a shovel/axe for the back, any idea where to get those two items?

The body of the truck has little rust, some in the bed and the rockers have been patched in the past so I will replace those, but most likely not until I have here up and running and what not.

Right now, the truck runs + drives but leaks oil from the crankcase breather and some other places so I'm just going to pull it as soon as summer comes around. The entire stock drivetrain will be for sale as soon as I start pulling it apart. Motor started in 36 degree weather this past weekend 2nd crank but the thing needs some new seals so most everything will go cheap.

All in all though, fun truck to drive around town, and I'm pretty pumped about getting started to work on her this summer. 4 weeks til I can start wrenching then I will be going down to OCS in VA for 6 weeks before returning and getting some more work done on her. I'll post as often as I can when I make progress on here because Dang does this forum lack pictures in the project sections, "No pic means it didn't happen"

So without blabbering on too much longer.... here she is, very solid truck in general big change from my last project in any case.

Previous owner did not remove top to paint.... looks goofy I know

My 12 valver on 37s next to the Kaiser

Mmmm

Lovin the drab

Floors are SOLID, want to redo the rockers with repro pieces though, currently riveted patch panels yuck

Bed rust, most likely will replace floor with diamond plate or hack up a junkyard bed for the ridged steel.

The worst of the rust on the truck, easy to fix though bc of the flat shapes of the bed, will deal with this later

Frame is very SOLID too, first step will be pulling the bed and getting the rear 70 in here

Some frame shots

One more.

Well, that's it for now, any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Looks like a good truck to start with....welcome to the 'zone..
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Welcome aboard!!
    Nice pics too...keep us updated!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Welcome!! Seems like you have a good grip on the build. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Welcome!! Seems like you have a good grip on the build. Good luck!
    That is yet to be determined haha but we'll see

Thanks for all the comments guys, and I'll be sure to keep you posted and probably snap some more pictures this weekend.

-Steve

Another Cummins Convert! Glad to see you here. Also glad to see someone else using a HP60.

Hey all.... I have what will probably be the last update for another 3 weeks or so until I'm out of school.

So rewind to this past thursday and 1200miles ago, and I was just leaving to go and get my 4bt.

Here it is once I got it home and "modified" my harbor freight 750lbs engine stand I had from rebuilding my 302

And with a few transmissions, zr5s

Ended up storing some things in the back of the m715 for now. Both axles, the 70 and the 60 as well as a few trannys and a t-case. The truck is tarped and it will only be like this for a few weeks.

So then I pressure washed and degreased the 4bt, took a while.

But after smoothing out the castings on the exhaust manifold and painting with some 2k F header paint and some cummins beige I think it came out darn secksi

One more shot with the truck in the frame too

Started looking at the rockers too and just ended up blasting out the rivets with the air chisel. Here's what I found....

What was left

What fell off....

And my fully rebuilt new bearings the whole shebang np-205

Shop helper numero uno

and the golden

Gonna take a pretty good dose of the blue juice to get these panels all replaced and this truck rolling again

Well, that's pretty much the gist of my weekend, I need to order some stud nuts from ARP because those are missing from my kit, but the 4bt will getting all new seals, KDP fixed, and a head stud kit to match the hx35 turbo.

First thing though will be to pull the bed and get the rear 70 under there and the frame all treated/cleaned up with 63in chev leaf springs.

Comments welcome as usual guys.

Oh, looks like I have a taker on the motor, but my trans, transfercase, front/rear axles, wheels and tires are all for sale.

-Steve