Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring+ Pinion?

My rear diff. cover developed a small hole in it this past weekend. I removed it today only to discover two chipped teeth on my ring gear. I did not find any pieces of gear in there but the oil was somewhat chuncky. I put a new cast aluminum caver on it, filled it with oil, drove it 50 miles with a load of firewood in the bed and heard nothing out of the rear. I am planning to change the gears, but shouldn't this thing make some kind of awful noises as is? Mike.

2. Default

(2) consecutive teeth on the ring gear? or just (2) teeth? If it's (2)consecutive you probably won't hear a BAD noise till it takes out 3,4,5...........!
    1969 M715

It might last longer if you took the rough burrs from broken teeth with a die grinder.

Depends on where the chips are. The heel is better than the toe. Hopefully there not side by side. Like Dave says, it would be good to remove the sharp edge. Those chunks that are now gone are most likely up front in the pinion cavity. I've noticed they tend to migrate there. You might take apart the diff and check the oiling passages. Better yet, replace the gears. I've seen them pretty cheap for stock stuff. Find someone who is changing ratios and buy their set. Used gears will set up fine 90% of the time. Be sure and do something pretty soon. Having those chunks drift into a running gear set can be really bad including lock up. On the freeway that could lead to bad things. Good luck with it...
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Mike,

I have a set of rear stock gear you can have, just pay the shipping.

PaulC

Thanks for the input. I'm planning on swapping to 4.88 or 4.56 gears. Does anyone have a preference of manufacture, like Richmond gears?
    Mike Petrus

I think 4.88s are not available any more for this old Dana70s. With 0.5 pinion offset. It is available for newer with .625 pinion offset.
    4.56 are available.

You have to keep in mind that the teeth broke at a time when 100% of the teeth were there. Now you are spreading the same load on a lower number of teeth, increasing the stress on the teeth. I would fix that right away.

running a 350/th400 tranny , i wonder if the stock ratio with 44's will push the old girl up past 60 mph's ? still in the bench racing stage . have the all the parts .

I recommend checking your pinion bearing. A dancing pinion will chip ring gear teeth in a hurry. I can run 60 with my truck on 36s, but it is screaming! With 44s you should be ale to cruise 60. I have a 305 Chevrolet with a low rpm Comp Cams cam shaft and Edelbrock intake, works good, gets around 13 mpg at 48 mph. Glen
    Proud owner of two 1968 M0715 trucks....
    Maybe they own me....or soon will!