Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cummins 5.9 in M715

Post Cummins 5.9 in M715

Hi yall. Just bought mine a couple weeks back. Its got a Cummins 5.9 industrial engine, np205, nv4500, dana 60's. Near as I can figure I am at least the 3rd owner. It was an ambulance. One of the last owners traded the back half for a truck bed and chopped the top about 5".

Other than that, I am still playing detective to figure out what parts I have and where they came from. This thing runs like a top, pulls like a freight train, and cruises down the highway. There is nothing majorly wrong with it, she just needs alittle lovin. Gotta fix a few leaks, squeaks, and some surface rust.

If anyone recognizes this rig, please let me know, I'd love to talk to the past owners to help figure out a few things. I'm in northwest Indiana. I was told she spent some time up in Stevensville Michigan.

This is my second post so I'll try to post some pics. Also have some youtube vids, but I'll put'em up later.

I seen that truck on youtube in a fw videos and it sounded like a nice running truck. Type in M715 on youtube and it should be there in a few places.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Interesting truck for sure!

That top line makes it look like an M37.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Looks like an m725 with the top chopped off and the bed of an m715 put on and relocated the gas fill tube. The top does kinda remind me of the m37 or m43 though. Not a bad looking truck overall.
    Chris

Looks good. What axle gearing are you running? How is the fuel mileage with the 5 speed?
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Nice truck! Please do tell us about the gearing and MPG
    Last edited by Mikel; August 24th, 2011 at 07:16 AM.

That thing was on ebay a while ago. Looked like a nice truck. There was a thread started here somewhere about it.

Thanks for sharing and joining the zone'.
    I remember see this before and thinking the top was odd but it grew on me.
    It's a great package with everything that was done to it.

Right now I believe that my gearing is in the 3.73 range. I'll have to wait for a rainy day to pop the diff cover off to see what I really have. Tires are 35x12.50r16lt.

I don't yet have an exact number on the mpg yet. The speedo and odometer are busted. Couple that with living close to work and it takes awhile to burn up some fuel. So far my rough guesstimate is in the 10-15mpg range. However, I must note that I am sure this is suffering a bit from an over anxious right foot. The previous owner metioned high teens, low twenty's.

I usually take off in 2nd gear. 1st is just way to low unless you are towing a battleship uphill. The tranny is the nv4500 5 speed. Some diffrent gears may help this later on down the road and help with the mpg. Dunno, we'll see. To much to fix up until then.

I just love seeing the diesel smoke roll out when you give'r more pedal. Right, no. Fun, yes. Nothing smells better than diesel and coffee in the morning. I wish that was a cologne.

The top was chopped 5" and someone made a canvas top. I need to get a hard top fabbed up before its get cold out. I've had enough of driving 4x4 tents. I am glad the top was chopped down, it just barely fits in the garage now.

Thanks for the nice words. I'll post more pics and what-not as I get used to the site interface.

I'll never misplace this thing in a parking lot.

NP205

Two heater cores. I just pulled'em out. They barely ran and mostly just made noise. May replace them with a newer version from Summit.