Thread: elohim1 : My Drive line angles , are they acceptable?

Default elohim1 : My Drive line angles , are they acceptable?

My Drive line angles , are they acceptable?
    Post by elohim1 on Oct 20, 2006, 11:33pm

I now have the complete drive line installed. I am using Rockwells with a divorced Np205.

I first set the manifold where the Carb sits, its level.

I then set the 205 square and in line with the tranny, since I have about a 4" jack shaft.

Looking from the passenger side the rear flange on the 205 is pointing down towards the rear axle about 4 degrees , therefore it is pointing above the ft. axle the same.

The rear axle flange is setting at 0 degrees.

The front axle flange is setting at 6 degrees, pointing towards the 205.

The rear drive shaft angle is 15 degrees.

The front drive shaft angle is 11 degrees , which will increase a little because I need to raise the front up about 2 1/2" due to when I had new springs made and changed load rating the #'s didnt come out right for the truck to sit level with the Big Block installed. Its high in the back.

Are these numbers acceptable ?

I was considering wedging the rear axle so it was pointing up towards the tcase at 4 degrees. It seems like it would make since if one end of the drive shaft is going one direction you would want the other end going the opposite direction at the same angle.

If this would be true , I would also need to rewedge the front so it points down to the ground by 4 degrees (a 10 degree change from where it currently is setting.)

Now that I have explained everything as clear as mud , let me hear some thoughts.

Chris

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Re: My Drive line angles , are they acceptable?
    Post by jeepistdougiowa on Oct 20, 2006, 11:42pm

The only thing you need to know is that your t-case yoke angle and pinion angle should cancel out.

Down 4* on the back of the t-case equals up 4* on the rear pinion. Not always achievable depending on lift and driveshaft length combined with maximum angle allowed by the u-joint... but it's what you shoot for.

Default 40grit :

Re: My Drive line angles , are they acceptable?
    Post by 40grit on Oct 20, 2006, 11:53pm

i set the transfer as close to 0 as I could, just because of the front rockwell...I think the way you currently have it it's going to track like crap, that's alot of negative caster, it will not return to center after a turn, I set it up with about 2* of positive caster, the downside, this makes the front flange angle down away from the XFR case(below a line parrallel with the frame, or a negative angle)with stock 715 springs, High angle said it would be fine at low 4wd speeds, as for the rear, I'd tilt the rear end so the rear flange points at the XFr case, then run a Double cardon on the upper part of the rear, this will allow for higher road speed with minimum vibrations..the front is going to vibrate no matter what when driven, but at slower driven speeds(i.e non road speeds), it should be ok...

at least that's the way several driveline shops have recommended to me...

that being said, I beleive you are building strictly a mud truck with hydraulic assist steering, so maybe leave the front axle with that amount of negative caster will allow better driveline life at high rpm's...since you aren't too concerned about wheels returning to center in a mudpit...