Thread: alosix : 725 + pintle?

Default alosix : 725 + pintle?

725 + pintle?
    Post by alosix on Sept 14, 2006, 3:19pm

Anyone here retrofitted a 725 with a pintle?

basic goal is to hook something like this to the back of it once the 6bt is in there:

http://www.take3trailers.com/2%20Car%20Tag.htm

stock pintle looks to be the easiest/safest route, but I'd be willing to listen to anyone that knows better.

Thanks,
    Jason

Default compexp :

Re: 725 + pintle?
    Post by compexp on Sept 14, 2006, 3:40pm

I was looking at that - you could do it by welding in a big support bar from one side of the frame to the other behind the current cross-member.

Then you'd have to drill the hole for the pintle. Can be done - think there was a pic somewhere of a 725 with one, but it was a prototype as the rear steps get in the way.

My thought was to reinforce the rear as I mentioned, put in a receiver hitch there, and figure out how to mount the steps (or custom steps) on the receiver hitch.

Default alosix :

Post by alosix on Sept 14, 2006, 4:44pm

I'd wonder if something like this wouldn't be easier to deal with:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_29325_29325

I'm guessing with some 1/4 plate on each side it should do ok, but I need to do a little more research first.

Jason

Default pistolnut :

Post by pistolnut on Sept 14, 2006, 4:51pm

alosix, where are you? Take 3 trailers is in Brenham, about 35 miles from me. I go there from time to time if you need more pictures or something.

Default alosix :

Post by alosix on Sept 14, 2006, 4:57pm

Quote:
    alosix, where are you? Take 3 trailers is in Brenham, about 35 miles from me. I go there from time to time if you need more pictures or something.

Thanks, Might have to take you up on that once teh 725 is rolling and I'm actively looking for a trailer. They seem to be one of the few 2 car bumper pull trailer makers.

Right now I'm just trying to figure a way to safely hook the 725 to it. Or for someone to tell me I'm nuts.

Thanks,
    Jason

Default alosix :

Post by alosix on Sept 14, 2006, 5:01pm

Oh, and the solution doesn't have to work with the stock steps. If I have to fab up some other steps to get this working I'm sure someone on here can make use of the ones that are on there now.

Jason

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Sept 14, 2006, 5:30pm

Quote:
    I'd wonder if something like this wouldn't be easier to deal with:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_29325_29325

I'm guessing with some 1/4 plate on each side it should do ok, but I need to do a little more research first.

Jason

That'd probably work fine. I was also thinking about the pintle/ball combos in case you need to tow a regular trailer as well.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Sept 14, 2006, 8:37pm

Look at the frame. On mine one of the cross members looks like it was drilled for the pintle hitch but the otter was not drilled. Never looked at the 715 but I bet it is the same setup but with the hitch.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 15, 2006, 8:09am

I am also about 30 miles from Take 3 trailers. They built me a single car bumper tow trailer in 1990. Great people to work with and good prices. I have a really good story about the founder. I will right it up in the BS section later on.

Default alosix :

Post by alosix on Sept 15, 2006, 8:18am

Ok, so far I'm taking 3 points from this:

1.) I'm not nuts for trying to tow a trailer like that with the 725

2.) The hitch setup will likely work. Looks like from SAE J849B I just need to make sure that the frame section won't deform under 130% of my indended max load. That would be just about 18klbs. I just need to go and find some structural steel strengths to ensure that.

3.) Take 3 makes nice trailers and there are at least 2 guys in driving distance to 'complain' for me if they don't