Thread: repairing wheel cylinders

Default repairing wheel cylinders

Well, I took apart both rear brakes, cleaned up everything. The wheel cylinders (stock) were somewhat sticky, but with a bit of honing I got them looking pretty good inside. The rubber parts are very pliable and not torn or weather checked (I didn't use anything toxic or petroleum based to clean the rubber parts). The pistons slide easily inside.

Is it possible to reuse these, or will they leak like a sive as soon as I get everything back together? I went thru the thread archives and didn't see much in the way of rebuilding these, only to replace them.

I'm sure someone has tried this method.

Scott

I would take the rubber pieces down to your local parts store and match up some new ones. You generally just need to match up the outside diameter, and they will interchange. Considering the amount of work to take it apart again, etc. as well as the safety factor, . I wouldn't recommend re-using the rubbers. The wheel cylinders, if they honed out good, should be fine, make sure you clean out the bleeder screws so they will work well when you go to bleed them. ...

I have a box of new old stock wheel cylinder rubbers. The look good and flexible. If you want some you can have them for postage. Let me know.

You can reuse the old rubber parts. However, it is the edge of them that seals. If the edges are pitted or just feel ruff to the touch, go buy some new ones. They are a very common size and most auto parts stores should have them for around $5.00 per set.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The old timer at the auto place machine shop looked at the cylinders and said I'd be asking for it if I tried to reuse them. They might work, they might not. He said to bite the bullet and get new ones.

Unless I like to take the brakes apart all the time.

Keeping it running and stopping it are the two most important things I guess, so I shant not skip corners with either.

Scott

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post
    The old timer at the auto place machine shop looked at the cylinders and said I'd be asking for it if I tried to reuse them. They might work, they might not. He said to bite the bullet and get new ones.

Unless I like to take the brakes apart all the time.

My kinda guy!

Just hit the local auto parts store and do the Ford E-350 wheel cylinder conversion. Takes about an extra 5 minutes per wheel to enlarge the mount holes and gives you the peace of mind knowing you'll stop when you want to.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The old-timer I go to for advise says, "you don't have to GO, but you HAVE to STOP!".
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Wink

gimp, he ever ride in a 715?????? Ha,ha.

Nope, but he loved driving the 725 AND the deuce.
    "We are here for the meeting!"