Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M725 Owners...

Default M725 Owners...

Those of you that have painted crosses, what paint did you use?? I have searched and searched and searched. The only thing I found was this:

i) Ambulance Color Markings. The following colors will be used for ambulance
    markings, as applicable:
    (1) Gloss red, Color Chip No. 11136, and Gloss white, Color Chip No. 17875
    on vehicles painted gloss or semigloss olive drab.
    (2) Lusterless red, Color Chip No. 31136 and lusterless white, Color Chip No.
    37875 on vehicles painted lusterless olive drab.

Well, I painted it 319 so I need a lusterless red. I went to all the big box stores and nobody had a spray can or gallon/quart in a flat red... I did not even find a satin/semi gloss red that looked like it could work. All paint done, everything masked off for the red, and no paint

Good luck, do you have a Sherwin Williams or Porter Paints?
    "We are here for the meeting!"

my body shop buddy "winged it" on the red and used (i think) corvette white for the background.

Best advice I have is try to match that color to a dupont color and then you can have it made.

do a search on dupont's page for that number.

Hey, check here:

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Match-...mpc0032196.htm
    Last edited by compexp; June 4th, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

I have not put any markings on mine. Though on the Dupont paint or any other automotive paint, you can add a flatener to it to make it lusterless.

I would say get a quart of automotive red...Ford Candy Apple red would be a good color. Or ask for Fire Engine Red....and a some flatner to it.
    Zone holster maker

I Painted mine on using rustolem white, then after a couple weeks I painted the red, using reagel red. The rustolem white does come in a flat white in spray, but dont know if it comes in quarts. I think what i used is a gloss, but i dont remember. the reagel red is a little bright,I was thinking of trying to mix some flattener for alkyd enamel in it to try to take out the gloss.I had it on there 3yrs now and nobody has ever said a word about. In fact i usually catch people getting there pics taken on the side of the ambulance , with the red cross as a back drop. If i get home early enought I will get some pics to post. There is a formula for the lay out of the red cross and the white field. I bought 2 wood yard sticks at home depot to lay out the crosses , that way you can mark and cut them easily

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have not decided what to do yet. I pained the white with rustoleum flat white with an HVLP. I considered going the automotive paint/flattener route, but the cheapest flattener they have at my jobber is an OMNI for enamels, and it is $35 a quart. Add to that another $30 or so for the red, and that would double the cost of my paint job. I know it's not like $75 is a lot, but I painted the entire inside and out with 3 gallons of Gillespie 319 for $75.. so it's just the principle.

I think what I will do is try to match it to a swatch at Home Depot and have them mix a gallon of enamel. I think it's like $25. I know you guys with the semi gloss paint have gloss red and white, which looks good on your trucks, but I think it would look funny for the red to be the only gloss on it.

If Home Desperit has enamel in cans like rustoleum and they can match it and make it in flat that would be the way to go. When people say HD I think they are going to use latex house paint on their MV....
    Zone holster maker

Yeah, they have an exterior enamel paint they can color match. I think it is barn paint or something. I am going to try it out today. Will post pics later...

Another question: Are the red crosses supposed to go all the way to the green, or have a small strip of white? I have seen them done both ways.