Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stepsidedan's J10-M715 merge

Default Stepsidedan's J10-M715 merge

Ryan - you've got yourself an extra fan! great quality work, super engineering, clean, well-thought ideas!
    i wish i was just as good a welder as you were. what's the magic behind this? i'm new in the welding world, and still weld with the stick! what kind of a welder do i need to buy to get your result?

i'm starting the m715 project begining of next year... got some other priorities for the moment (J10, CJ, Chief)...

i bought an 82' j10 with a 401, etc... the plan is to make the m715 body work on my j10 frame and mechanics. i figured the front wouldn't be too much of a problem. the rear axles will have to be moved backwards...

anyone alread experience with this?

here is the m715:

here is the donor j10:

and the wheels for the m715 (lol)/

Why are you trying to put a M715 body on a J10 frame?
    I can't see very many advatages to doing it.

thanks stepsidedan.

i use a miller 210 mig welder for what i do.

if i was trying to blend the J-10 and M715 i think i would steal the 401 and transmission/t-case out of the J-10 and install them in the 715, overall it will be much easier and cleaner. those are both super clean trucks wy the way.

the idea was... but correct me if i'm wrong to:
    - use all the good stuff from the j10 (engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, power brakes, power steering, 12V electrical circuit, confortable interior, ...
    - use the nice solid, good mooking body of the m715

and melt it all together... without doing too much cutting, welding, etc... in the metal.

i've performed many restorations along the years, but never done something like this before.

i basically want to make a v8 driven, good looking m715, not for off-road but purely for the look! i know the amc20/dana44 axles have their weaknesses, but really this truck will only see roads and eventually some grass!

by using the j10 frame: engine mounts, transfer mount, axles mounts (except for rear), power steering box mount, etc.. are already well in place. i'll just need to take the rear axle mounts backwards a couple of inches, and i should be fine? uhhhh???

the reason i stick with the original axles is because living in europe where NAPA's, Autozone's, etc are not around, doesn't make the part hunt easier.
    i've got 6 other Full Size Jeeps and plenty of spare parts for them (always AMC20/D44 or D44/D44). replacing a bearing after 10000miles instead of 50000miles is no issue in this case...

does this make sense, or am i completely crazy... in this case, stop me and we'll change plans...

I don't know for sure, but I'm under the impression that the J10 Frame is shorter. If it were me, I'd keep a matching frame and body and just swap the drivetrains.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaWilkins View Post
    If it were me, I'd keep a matching frame and body and just swap the drivetrains.
    That is exatly what I was thinking. Swaping out drivetrains would almost have to be a lot easier than extending the wheelbase and fabbing new body mounts, right?

Wow!! Both are really clean looking trucks, sad to see one of them sacrificed, but to each his own. JUST HAVE FUN WHEN YOU ARE DONE!!!

My God, PLEASE find a different J truck. That or take VERY good care of the cab and bed on that one because I guarantee someone will be wanting them.

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...

I'd bet that since Dan has built a lot of FSJ's that he will put that cab to good use and the rest of the parts....
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

Is that a MG A in the background? If so, I need some parts.

I only have this to say about the swap. Normally, a built truck is better than the sum of the parts you start with. From the pictures, it seems the finished product will be far less than either starting point. However, it is your trucks, so do as you wish.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw